Yall, I’ve been promising new content forever and a day, and enough with the talk– here it is! Playlist here is pretty random, so hopefully something for everyone!
Hope y’all continue to check the site for new playlists. Last year was a DOOZY (baby, move, etc.) so with things slowing down a bit, I’ll be on my A-game this year.
Enjoy the ride and as always, here is the spotify playlist (spotify playlist 1.22.18)
- Tom Petty – American Girl (3:34) : warm up, stretch it out
- John Mellancamp – Small Town (3:41) : let’s get it going with a few rolling hills. Quick beat, so not crazy heavy…. yet. Steadily add resistance and pick up the pace with each chorus.
- Imagine Dragons – Thunder (3:07) : MAN I LOVE THIS SONG SO MUCH. It gets me so pumped up. I like this one for heavier sprints. Not all out on speed– you’ve got plenty of resistance to slow you a bit, but it’s not a heavy climb. Sprints at 0:23 and 1:14 (20 sec each) and then last one at 2:05 is about 50 sec.
- Katy Perry and Kanye West – E.T. (3:49) : sprints, each on the chorus about 30 sec
- Fall Out Boy – Centuries (3:48) : I really wanted this to be a sprint song, but it’s just not there. The pick ups in speed are too short for flat road sprints. Steady increases in resistance, picking up out of the saddle when beat picks up.
- Free – All Right Now (5:34) : here is your steady, uphill climb. Lots of variations in the music throughly the 5min+ song and opportunities to take it out of the saddle, speed up, etc.
- Hardwell – Power (2:28) : let’s flush that lactic acid out of your legs with a quick flat road. Two sprints, each 30 sec long at 0:30 and 1:39.
- Mi Gente – J Balvin, et al feat Beyonce (3:29) : interesting beat here. I like it for in and out of the saddle climb.
- NF – Let You Down (3:32) : back to climbing, this song has several slow bits, take the resistance up here and make it a heavy climb. kind of like a reverse sprint. Take the heavy bits in the saddle and give a little break on resistance and lift out of the saddle when beat picks up.
- Coldplay – Every Teardrop is a Waterfall (4:00) : endurance work. This song is 4 minutes. Aim for 2, 90sec pushes in the saddle with about 75-80% resistance.
- B.o.B – Paper Route (3:32) : lifts in and out of the saddle
- Fleetwood Mac – Everywhere (3:46) : cool down and stretch
Hope everyone has had a great summer – I can’t believe it’s almost over, but I’m so lookingforward to cooler falltemps. Here in the South summer equals humidity, and by this time each year I’m just OVER IT.
I actually put together this playlist a few months ago, but just now getting around to posting. There’s a lot of new songs here, and also a few throwbacks I hope you enjoy as well. Here is the Spotify link: cycle tunes 7.09.16
- the strumbellas – spirits (3:23) : warm up.
- needtobreathe – drive all night (4:13) : love this song, it’s got a great beat. starting to climb here. surge uphill on the chorus.
- sia/sean paul – cheap thrills (3:44) : great new song, this one is so fun. sprints here on the chorus. about 30 sec. each.
- the cars – just what i needed (3:45) : keep resistance from the sprints. surges in the saddle, longer stretches of time than the prior set of springs. or if you’re up for another climb, get after it.
- justin beiber – sorry (3:20) : lifts in and out of the saddle
- red hot chili peppers – dark necessities (5:02) : this is a longer one, but our first peak climb of the day. about four resistance additions to the top, or more if you like to space them out a bit.
- p!nk – just like fire (3:36) : bring this one back down to the flat road and sprint on the chorus. they’re about 30 sec. each.
- coldplay – paradise (4:38) : keep resistance from prior set of sprints. enjoy the flat road, with one increase. longer surges in the saddle.
- meghan trainor – NO (3:33) : i have a love/hate relationship with this song. get the resistance heavy in the beginning and then surge downhill. repeat through balance of the song.
- the black crowes – jealous again (4:34) : final climb of the day. this is a fun one, surge up to the top.
- flo rida – my house (3:12) : lifts in and out of the saddle.
- red hot chili peppers (4:25) : i was on a RHCP kick when i made this playlist. love them. cool down and stretch.
Hi all – can’t believe this year is already over. Here’s a little playlist to get you get excited for the New Year’s Resolution-ers! You can find the spotify link here: cycle tunes 10.24.15
- Steely Dan – Peg (4:00) : Warm Up, stretch
- Josh Ritter – Getting Ready to Get Down (3:16) : Rolling hills
- Miike Snow – Animal (4:23) : Climbing. Quickly building to a heavy hill, once you get there, moving in and out of the saddle.
- Katy Perry – This is How We Do (3:24) : Sprints. Three sprints. 20 sec at 0:40; 20 sec at 1:30; and 30 sec at 2:20.
- Justin Beiber – What do you Mean? (3:28) : Recovery. Build to climbing, surges in the saddle uphill.
- Benny Benassi – Cinema (3:03) : Lifts in and out of the saddle. I LOVE this song. You can also use this one for sprints if you want an extra challenge.
- will.i.am – THE (The Hardest Ever) (4:07) : Climbing, reaching heavy peak.
- Tove Stryke – Number One (3:25) : Flat road. Keep it challenging with 60 second surges.
- Mumford and Sons – Lover of the Light (5:15) : Quick surges uphill
- Electric Guest – This Head I Hold (2:56) : Lifts, in and out entire song.
- Maroon 5 – Animals (3:51) : Sprints. 20 sec at 1:02; 40 sec at 2:03 and 40 sec at 3:06.
- Adele – Hello (4:55) : Stretching and cool down
Hi everyone! It’s been a while since my last post, but I haven’t forgotten about you! I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I transitioned into subbing classes rather than being on the regular schedule so I don’t create new playlists too often. This one was a doozy. Lots of very different, and fun music though, enjoy! (I’ll publish an update with the spotify link later today)
- Avicii – The Days (4:38) : warm up, stretching
- Steve Miller Band – Take the Monday and Run (2:52) : quick hills
- Calvin Harris – Summer (3:43) : sprints. 3, 30-sec sprints at 0:49, 2:04, and 3:04
- Mumford & Sons – I Will Wait (4:37) : quick flat road, finish with a surge uphill
- CCR – Fortunate Son (2:18) : quick downhill recovery. speed up at the finish.
- Katy Perry – Hot N Cold (3:40) : sprints. 30-sec sprints at 0:33 and 1:38; 45-sec sprint at 2:48
- Mark Ronson – Uptown Fund (4:30) : lifts in and out of saddle
- Arno Cast & Norman Doray – Strong (5:54) : I’m going to call this one a free for all. I built resistance throughout and wove in lifts when the pace of the song lightened up a bit. Have fun with this one.
- Dr. Hook – Cover of the Rolling Stone (2:52) : Quick pace, recovery.
- Givers – Up Up Up (4:34) : Climbing, fun quick pace.
- Maroon 5 – Lucky Strike (3:05) : lifts
- Four Tops – Reach Out I’ll Be There (3:18) : cool down, stretching
Hi everyone – I have a new playlist for you! I mentioned this in my last post, but I’m only teaching once a month– which is actually motivation for me to create a new playlist each time I teach. I am thinking about expanding the site a bit and posting more frequently- is there anything else that would be helpful or would you just like to see playslists?
This one is pretty random in terms of content, but a good mix of climbing/flat road/ sprints. Enjoy! Here is the spotify link: cycle tunes 12.13.14
- earth, wind & fire – september (3:35) : warm up/stretch
- zz top – sharp dressed man (4:13) : rolling hills to get everyone warmed up
- lynyrd skynyrd – gimme three steps (4:30) : you can do pretty much anything here – I am going with some quick surges at approx. 60-70% of max resistance, but you could also throw in a straight climb, lifts in and out of the saddle- whatever you’re feeling!
- citizen cope – bullet and a target (3:49) : i have to admit, i am throwing this one in for myself- i love this song. i take a steady, steep climb on this tune.
- vance joy – riptide (3:24) : this is a great one for downhill run.
- benny benassi – control (3:29) : again, this is another personal favorite. sprints on this one.
- scissor sisters – only the horses (3:43) : quick pace, lifts in and out of the saddle.
- crazy town – butterfly (3:37) : same as earlier in the ride, surges at approx 60-70% max resistance.
- angels and airwaves – the adventure (5:13) : this is the longest push of the day. this song starts off slow, but we’re on to the second, steady climb of the day.
- k’naan – wavin’ flag (3:33) : steady, quick pace. flat road.
- katy perry – this is how we do (3:24) : final push of the day, lifts in and out of the saddle.
- alabama shakes – hold on (3:46) : cool down/stretch
apologies for the cheesy title, but i tried to incorporate “spin” into the title of each song on this playlist and that was the best i came up with. if the title doesn’t give it away, this is an 80’s themed ride. it was so fun, a great success! i had participants debating with me that certain songs weren’t actually recorded in the 1980’s (there is one on this playlist, take a guess in the comments– no googling!) such a fun ride and with so many great songs from the 80s, i already have a volume 2 going. here is the spotify link: 80s tunes.
- kim wilde – you keep me hanging on (4:15) : i played this one before class started, folks setting up their bikes. this is the warning that the next 45 minutes are all 80s music, here’s your last chance to hit up the zumba class.
- michael jackson – rock with you (3:40) : stretch and warm/up.
- queen – we will rock you (2:02) : this is a short, first climb. adding 2 gears every 20-30 seconds. out of the saddle for the last 30 seconds.
- fine young cannibals – she drives me crazy (3:36) and hall & oates – you make my dreams (3:11) : pyramid work for the next 8 minutes. adding 2 gears, hold for 30 seconds, and then add 5 rpms every 30 seconds. last minute, slowly reduce resistance to initial flat road.
- eurythmics – sweet dreams (steve angello remix) (5:31) : this one is sort of a cop out because i have played it before and it’s actually a remix of the original song. but it’s a good remix and a much needed faster paced song for our only set of flat road sprints. get that resistance ready for the quick pace. 4, 30 second sprints at 0:55, 2:27, 3:27 and 4:30.
- huey lewis & the news – power of love (3:54) : quick, cool down from the sprints. flat road, steadily adding on. quick jumps out of the saddle.
- pat benatar – heartbreaker (3:27) : heavier sprints, uphill. they are short, so don’t be afraid to add heavy gear. 0:39 – 1:01, 1:24 – 1:45, 2:20 – 2:50.
- j. geils band – centerfold (3:37) and the romantics – what i like about you (2:55) : here are lifts in and out of the saddle. for the first song, we are getting in the groove. 6 count on first chorus, 4 count on second chorus and 6 count on third chorus. holding gear in the saddle during the lyrics. for the second song, 6 count for the first minute, 4 count for the second minute and 6 count for the final third minute. so important to protect your knees on this and keep that resistance at a slightly uncomfortable level.
- billy ocean – get outta dreams (5:37) : i didn’t play this entire song (although, it is probably one of my favorite songs ever) but used as a recovery from the sprints for the first 2 minutes and then out of the saddle run for another 1-2 minutes. just a chance to catch your breath before the final climb.
- joan jett – i hate myself for loving you (4:07) : final climb. make this one as heavy as possible. sprints uphill are heavy. start at moderate incline, on my cue add several gears, enough to make it heavy and uncomfortable. then break into 20 sec sprint. 0:50 – add gear, sprint at 1:02 – 1:32. back gear off for break. 2:05 – add gear, sprint at 2:11 – 2:22ish. break. 2:50 – add gear, sprint at 2:56 – 3:26. break. final push at 3:44 – 4:00.
- john mellancamp – jack & diane (4:16) : seriously, this really could be my favorite song ever. time for cool down and stretch.
enjoy this playlist! i got a lot of great feedback, so an inspiration to do more themed rides! any suggestions?
apologies for the delay in posting this week! things have been a little busy and i have been working on some other fun features for the blog, so please stay tuned!
this ride is 45 minutes, but the bulk of the work is roughly 10 minutes of climbing, followed by 10 minutes of sprinting and ends with 10 minutes of lifts in and out of the saddle. here it is:
- whitney houston – how will i know? (junior vasquez club version) (4:10) : warm up/stretch
- gavin degraw – in love with a girl (3:26) : here is the start of our climbing work. this is a seated climb, starting at a PRE 6 (6/10 – moderately heavy resistance). standing, picking up speed on the chorus. increase tension one or two gears when seated.
- avett brothers – kick drum heart (2:54) : quick seated climb. this hill is not as steep, but quick speed. not dropping below 85 rpms, even through peak. slight increases every 20-30 seconds.
- wyclef jean – i’m ready (3:55) : out of the saddle climb. this is the steepest climb. you’ll need to start at approx PRE 5/6 to protect knees out of the saddle.
- kelly clarkson – stronger (3:42) : let the sprinting begin! sprinting on chorus, recovery in between
- the veronicas – untouched (4:15) : 4 rounds of 10-20 second standing sprints followed by 30 seconds of recovery.
- good charlotte – i don’t wanna be in love (dance floor anthem) (4:04) : final set of sprints. 3, 30 second sprints. 30 seconds of recovery in between. these will fall in line with chorus.
- whitney houston – it’s not right but it’s ok (dance mix) (4:16) : this starts lifts in and out of the saddle. for this first 4 minutes, i gave breaks during verses, and went for 6 count during the chorus.
- the beatards – don’t step on my sneakers (3:13) & outkast – hey ya! (3:59) : here we moved into 6 count for 2 minutes, break for 30 seconds, 4 count for 2 minutes, break for 30 seconds and 6 count for 2 minutes.
- cake – the distance (3:00) : this is one of my favorite songs for a strong finish. there will be 2, 30 second pushes UPHILL. i challenge the class to make this the most difficult hill of the ride.
- kid rock – all summer long (4:58) : cool down / stretch