Yall, I’ve been promising new content forever and a day, and enough with the talk– here it is! Playlist here is pretty random, so hopefully something for everyone!
Hope y’all continue to check the site for new playlists. Last year was a DOOZY (baby, move, etc.) so with things slowing down a bit, I’ll be on my A-game this year.
Enjoy the ride and as always, here is the spotify playlist (spotify playlist 1.22.18)
- Tom Petty – American Girl (3:34) : warm up, stretch it out
- John Mellancamp – Small Town (3:41) : let’s get it going with a few rolling hills. Quick beat, so not crazy heavy…. yet. Steadily add resistance and pick up the pace with each chorus.
- Imagine Dragons – Thunder (3:07) : MAN I LOVE THIS SONG SO MUCH. It gets me so pumped up. I like this one for heavier sprints. Not all out on speed– you’ve got plenty of resistance to slow you a bit, but it’s not a heavy climb. Sprints at 0:23 and 1:14 (20 sec each) and then last one at 2:05 is about 50 sec.
- Katy Perry and Kanye West – E.T. (3:49) : sprints, each on the chorus about 30 sec
- Fall Out Boy – Centuries (3:48) : I really wanted this to be a sprint song, but it’s just not there. The pick ups in speed are too short for flat road sprints. Steady increases in resistance, picking up out of the saddle when beat picks up.
- Free – All Right Now (5:34) : here is your steady, uphill climb. Lots of variations in the music throughly the 5min+ song and opportunities to take it out of the saddle, speed up, etc.
- Hardwell – Power (2:28) : let’s flush that lactic acid out of your legs with a quick flat road. Two sprints, each 30 sec long at 0:30 and 1:39.
- Mi Gente – J Balvin, et al feat Beyonce (3:29) : interesting beat here. I like it for in and out of the saddle climb.
- NF – Let You Down (3:32) : back to climbing, this song has several slow bits, take the resistance up here and make it a heavy climb. kind of like a reverse sprint. Take the heavy bits in the saddle and give a little break on resistance and lift out of the saddle when beat picks up.
- Coldplay – Every Teardrop is a Waterfall (4:00) : endurance work. This song is 4 minutes. Aim for 2, 90sec pushes in the saddle with about 75-80% resistance.
- B.o.B – Paper Route (3:32) : lifts in and out of the saddle
- Fleetwood Mac – Everywhere (3:46) : cool down and stretch
It’s been a hot minute since I’ve published a new playlist– I promise to do better and even hope to add some video content in the future. I’m going to the Jimmy Buffett concert tonight and Huey Lewis is opening (think I’m more excited for him than Mr. Margaritaville), so I had to play one of my favorite Huey Lewis & the News songs.
Also- make sure to follow me on twitter (www.twitter.com/jollyspins) and snapchat (jollyspins) as I ramp up website activity!
Enjoy this playlist, and feel free to provide feedback and suggestions for songs you’d like to see in the comments section, I love reading them!
Here is the spotify link: 04.23.16 playlist
- Coleman Hell – 2 Heads (3:32) : warm up and stretching
- Huey Lewis & The News – The Heart of Rock and Roll (4:05) : Rolling hills to get started. I aimed for an 80% max resistance hill, 2x.
- The Rolling Stones – Paint It, Black (3:22) : I love this song. Short sprints, each 15 seconds, with a 15 second break.
- Vance Joy – Fire and the Flood (4:09) : Endurance surges. 1 minute each, 1 minute break. 2x. I love these, they can be really challenging if you get your pace and resistance right. Should be a challenge, but not as fast as sprints and you’re holding for longer period of time.
- Flo Rida – Run (3:52) : Sprints. First is 15 sec, second is 20 sec, and third is 30 seconds. Each begins on the minute mark.
- Jonas Blue – Fast Car (3:32) : Lifts in and out of the saddle. I can’t believe someone actually remixed this song, but it works.
- The Rolling Stones – Sympathy for the Devil (6:17) : Endurance surges. 1 minute each, with 1 minute break. 3x.
- Galantis – Runaway (3:47) : Uphill, quick pace. Surges in the saddle as you climb.
- JR JR – Gone (3:47) : Final set of endurance surges. 1 minute each, 1 minute break. 2x.
- Lana Del Rey – Blue Jeans RAC Mix (3:38) : Lifts in and out of saddle.
- Flo Rida – My House (3:12) : Anyone else obsessed with this song? Three sprints, 30 seconds each. They’re roughly at each :45 sec mark. 30 sec recovery in between.
- Dawes – All Your Favorite Bands (3:35) : Cool down and stretch.
Hi everyone – I have a new playlist for you! I mentioned this in my last post, but I’m only teaching once a month– which is actually motivation for me to create a new playlist each time I teach. I am thinking about expanding the site a bit and posting more frequently- is there anything else that would be helpful or would you just like to see playslists?
This one is pretty random in terms of content, but a good mix of climbing/flat road/ sprints. Enjoy! Here is the spotify link: cycle tunes 12.13.14
- earth, wind & fire – september (3:35) : warm up/stretch
- zz top – sharp dressed man (4:13) : rolling hills to get everyone warmed up
- lynyrd skynyrd – gimme three steps (4:30) : you can do pretty much anything here – I am going with some quick surges at approx. 60-70% of max resistance, but you could also throw in a straight climb, lifts in and out of the saddle- whatever you’re feeling!
- citizen cope – bullet and a target (3:49) : i have to admit, i am throwing this one in for myself- i love this song. i take a steady, steep climb on this tune.
- vance joy – riptide (3:24) : this is a great one for downhill run.
- benny benassi – control (3:29) : again, this is another personal favorite. sprints on this one.
- scissor sisters – only the horses (3:43) : quick pace, lifts in and out of the saddle.
- crazy town – butterfly (3:37) : same as earlier in the ride, surges at approx 60-70% max resistance.
- angels and airwaves – the adventure (5:13) : this is the longest push of the day. this song starts off slow, but we’re on to the second, steady climb of the day.
- k’naan – wavin’ flag (3:33) : steady, quick pace. flat road.
- katy perry – this is how we do (3:24) : final push of the day, lifts in and out of the saddle.
- alabama shakes – hold on (3:46) : cool down/stretch
hope to keep these coming on a more regular basis as we are officially in holiday season. so hard to believe thanksgiving is right around the corner. here is the spotify link : Cycle tunes 10.7.13 enjoy! brooke fraser – coachella (3:32) : one of my favorite singers/songs. warm up / stretch van halen – […]
new playlist to celebrate the approaching end of summer. have a lot of new tunes from some artists you may not recognize– support new bands! here is the link to spotify : cycle tunes 8.23.12 enjoy, please post in comments if you have suggestions!
- kenny chesney – feel like a rock star (3:28) : warm up/stretch
- of monsters and men – mountain sound (3:31) : rolling hills
- calvin harris ft. ne-yo – let’s go (radio edit) (3:46) : sprints
- dragonette – let it go (3:32) : climb
- madonna – turn up the radio – r3hab remix (5:42) : climb, lifts in and out of the saddle
- capital cities – safe and sound (3:13) : continue climb, lifts
- angels and airwaves – the adventure (5:13) : endurance word, lifts
- the wanted – chasing the sun (3:19) : sprints
- nero – promises (skrillex remix) (4:29) : climb, lifts
- florence + the machine – dog days are over (4:12) : recovery, endurance
- kelly clarkson – whyyawannabringmedown (2:43) : last set of sprints!
- sia – breathe me (4:35) : cool down/stretch
not only is it friday, but it’s also the opening day for the olympics! go team USA! can’t wait to see the opening ceremonies and cheer on our olympians! (if you cannot tell, i am really excited) as if that were not enough, it’s also the weekend of my favorite event in charlotte– 24 hours of booty. a 24 hour course is set up in the heart of charlotte as a fundraiser for cancer research. i will be out riding on saturday, and i can’t wait to cheer on the riders who may need a little encouragement from a full night of riding. check it out if you are in the area this weekend.
this is an older ride, but full of every good thing to make you sweat: sprints, endurance work, jumps and climbing. enjoy:
- rhianna – we found love (3:36) : warm up/stretch
- coldplay – every teardrop is a waterfall (4:03) : steady, quick climb
- liquid soul – adrenaline (7:54) : endurance work for the full 8 minutes. uncomfortable resistance for the first four minutes. add a tiny bit of resistance. two minutes out of the saddle. final minute in the saddle surge.
- pitbull – rain over me (3:52) : jumps
- simple plan ft. natasha bedingfield – jet lag (3:25) : sprints
- flo rida – good feeling (4:07) : jumps
- lady gaga – edge of glory (5:20) : sprints
- t.i. ft. rhianna – live your life (5:39) : jumps. i cut this song off early to keep within a 45 min class
- katy perry – last friday night (3:51) : finished with sprints. these caught everyone off guard at the end, but a great way to finish the ride.
- hillsong live – the lost are found (8:02) : cooldown/stretch
today’s ride was the hardest one i’ve put together in a while. i definitely regretted teaching back to back classes and using the same playlist for both. great range of music here, so a little something for everyone. enjoy!
- white stripes – my doorbell (4:01) : warm up/stretch
- kip moore – somethin’ bout a truck (3:34) : first climb. this was fun because i never play country, i may have to do that more often! i increased intensity with each section of the song.
- lady gaga – marry the night (4:25) : sprints 30/30/30
- adrenaline – liquid soul (7:51) : this was super fun. moderate incline, one minute out of the saddle climb, one minute in the saddle surge. sounds easy, but a total of 4 rounds with no recovery really wears you out.
- adam lambert – never close our eyes (4:08) : recovery for the first minute, then back to sprints. 30/30/30
- neon trees – everybody talks (2:59) : out of the saddle sprints, 20/20/20
- cream – white room (4:58) : what a great, classic rock song. some additional recovery time in the beginning and then straight uphill ascent. in last 2-3 minutes, i had class hit the in the saddle peak, then out of saddle peak, and then back in the saddle for final 30-45 seconds. intense!
- marianas trench – haven’t had enough (3:30) : sprints again, but i had a 5rpm increase for 10 seconds, and then when chorus jams out, we sprinted all out for 15 seconds. there were 3 of those.
- justin beiber & nicki minaj – beauty and a beat (3;48) : jumps. rotating 30 seconds in, 30 seconds out.
- i had another set of sprints built in at this point, but everyone looked like they were going to die, so i didn’t go for it. i’ll save that one for later!
- katy perry – wide awake (3:41) : stretch/cool down
summer is officially here, and i love it! this playlist is a pretty random mix of tunes, but i love focusing on sweat-inducing endurance work during the summer. here is the spotify link: endurance ride 5.31.12
- lecrae – walking on water (3:41) : warm up/stretch
- benny benassi ft. gary go – control (3:29) : endurance pushes, focusing on speed – 90rpms, adding gear until you hit a 70% perceived rate of exertion (PRE). 1 min at 70%, 45 sec 80%, 1 min 70%.
- britt nicole – amazing life (3:34) : sprints on chorus.
- queen – another one bites the dust (3:35) : steady, in the saddle climb. heavy peak.
- ok go – here it goes again (3:00) : back to endurance work. 1 min 70%, 1 min 80%, 1 min 70%.
- the ataris – boys of summer (4:18) : sprints on chorus.
- bruno mars – runaway baby (2:28) : in and out of the saddle climb. it is quick, but don’t skimp on intensity.
- tom petty – running down a dream (4:23) : long, steady run. 4 min in the saddle. increases on each minute. class needs to get in the zone here, but don’t let them slack on speed!
- marvin gaye – ain’t no mountain (2:26) : if the class really gave their all on the last four minutes, i use this for recovery. if they slacked off, i would bring them out of the saddle for a climb here.
- LMFAO – party rock anthem (4:26) : endurance pushes. 90 sec at 70%, 90 sec at 80%, 90 sec at 70%.
- katy perry – E.T. (benny benassi radio edit) (3:21) : sprints on chorus. last set. three, heavy 30 sec sprints. i took these out of the saddle to give the bottom a break, but if you used the earlier recovery for out of saddle climb, it may not be necessary here.
- the black keys – lonely boy (3:13) : final climb, quick in the saddle.
- the lumineers – stubborn love (4:39) : cool down, stretch.
this is my first attempt to link my spotify account with the Jollyspins blog. if all goes well, you’ll be able to subscribe to my new playlists and link directly to my account if you are trying any of these rides on your own. if you aren’t familiar with spotify, i highly recommend the app. as an instructor, it is has given me the ability to create a new playlist each week, which is a huge treat for both me and my classes. whether or not you’re an aerobics instructor, i highly recommend that you check it out! this week’s playlist is a fairly simple profile: hill, flat road endurance and then sprint. here is the spotify link : cycle tunes 5.25.12
- kris allen – live like we’re dying (3:33) : warm up/stretch
- shinedown – the crow and the butterfly (4:14) : steady, in the saddle climb. one min quick seated, one min push speed 10%, one min out of the saddle. increasing resistance every 30 seconds. my classes love shinedown, so this is always a hit.
- young and the giant – my body (4:04) : flat road, steady push for the entire 4 minutes. you can switch up by adding a little gear and holding for a minute, backing off, etc.
- FNA – take me home tonight (gregory ferguson remix) (3:25) : 3 sprints. 0:47 – 1:09 (20 sec); 1:48 – 2:17 (30 sec); 2:50 – 3:20 (30 sec).
- the beatards – don’t step on my sneakers (3:13) : back to the climb. this one is in and out of the saddle.
- maroon 5 – moves like jagger (3:21) : flat road endurance work.
- elton john – saturday night’s alright for fighting (4:55) : sprints. i usually go for longer sprints here.
- whitney houston – i wanna dance with somebody (junior’s happy handbag remix) (4:25) : this is a bit of recovery, finishing with an in and out of the saddle jog.
- thousand foot crutch – move (3:29) : i love this jam. back to the climb. heavy load and quicken speed uphill on the “move” command.
- john o’callaghan – find yourself (2:32) : quick, flat road endurance work.
- hinder – born to be wild (3:59) : sprints.
- florence + the machine – the dog days are over (4:13) : cool down and stretch.
this week i realized i have been focusing on climbing drills for what seems like months. while it has been fun to see how my new weight lifting routine has made a positive impact on my climbing work in spin class, i have completely ignored endurance and sprint work. tonight’s class was almost entirely focused on speed, and it was a great kick in the pants! this is a fun playlist that i’ll definitely be jamming out to this summer.
- michael jackson – P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) (3:59) : stretch, warm up
- calvin harris – feel so close (radio mix) (3:28) : 1 min: PRE 7 (95 rpm); 1 min: PRE 8 (95 rpm); 1 min: PRE 7 (95 rpm); final 0:30: recovery
- david guetta feat. nicki minaj – turn me on (3:19) : here is where i started to realize i was in trouble. sprints. 0:52 – 1:22 – 30 sec sprint. 30 sec recovery. 2:02 – 2:32 – 30 sec sprint. 30 sec recovery. 3:02 – 3:19 – 20 sec sprint.
- the shins – simple song (4:15) : there are two climbs on this ride and this is the first one. not a huge peak, in theme of ride, focused on speed. starting at slight incline, add one or two gears every 30 seconds. about two minutes in, bring out of saddle for 1 minute. drop back in saddle, hold gear for 30 seconds. finish in recovery for final 45 seconds.
- timbaland ft. miley cyrus – we belong to the music (4:27) : back to endurance work. 1 min: PRE 7/8 (95 rpm). 1 min: PRE 8 (95 rpm). 45 sec break. 1 min PRE 7/8 (95 rpm). 1 min PRE 8 (95 rpm).
- fatboy slim – the rockafeller skank (3:57) : i always forget how extremely annoying this song gets about halfway through. i need to stop adding to playlists, but the beat for the first half is pretty decent. i just started back at the beginning when it got really bad. back to sprint work. 30 sec recovery. 30 sec sprint. 30 sec recovery. 45 sec sprint. 45 sec recovery. 30 sec sprint. 30 sec recovery.
- hot chelle rae – i like it like that (3:08) : i am embarrassed by how much i like this song. lifts in and out of the saddle during chorus. 4 count in / 4 count out. recovery in between.
- the black keys – gold on the ceiling (3:44) : this is the second hill. basically same as the first. start at slight incline, adding gear every 30 seconds. becomes a moderate hill and then take out of saddle. back down for about 45 seconds and then final 30-45 seconds are recovery.
- ellie goulding – lights (3:31) : final set of endurance drills. 1 min PRE 7 (90 rpm – you will naturally be tired at this point and hitting a slower speed, but this is still challenging and still a fast pace). 1 min PRE 8 (90 rpm). 30 sec break. 1 min PRE 7 (90rpm). 1 min PRE 8 (90 rpm).
- september – party in my head (4:17) : final sprint drills. 0:23 – 0:37 – don’t think this is going to be an easy finish. 15 sec sprint. 30 sec break. 1:06 – 1:36: 30 sec sprint. 30 sec break. 2:06 – 2:36: 30 sprint. 45 sec break. 3:18 – 4:03: 45 sec sprint.
- pitbull – back in time (men in black III soundtrack) (3:26) : not sure if i’ll actually see men in black III, but this is a fun song. can anyone name the movie soundtrack featured in the mashup? finishing with lifts in and out of the saddle. minute at quick speed. minute of 4 count in/out. 45 sec break. finishing with 4 count in/out.
- keane – stop for a minute (4:07) : cool down, stretch.
let me know what you think and please post any music suggestions you may have!!! i love feedback.