hope to keep these coming on a more regular basis as we are officially in holiday season. so hard to believe thanksgiving is right around the corner. here is the spotify link : Cycle tunes 10.7.13 enjoy!
- brooke fraser – coachella (3:32) : one of my favorite singers/songs. warm up / stretch
- van halen – you really got me (2:41) : heading uphill, quick surges in the saddle
- kid rock – all summer long (4:58) : start of approx 8 min of steady uphill climbing. building up to a peak with this first song
- eagles – in the city (3:45) : by the time the eagles start, should be a heavy slow point. head for a quick downhill once the song picks up, and finish with a quick climb to the top.
- the charlie daniels band – devil went down to georgia (3:35) : bit of recovery from the climbing work. this is an active flat road. pushing speed for approx 90 seconds after a solid recovery.
- tegan and sara – closer (3:30) : lifts in and out of the saddle.
- kasabian – fire (4:12) : back to climbing. this time, heavy, quick surges in the saddle.
- pink floyd – another brick in the wall (3:49) : continuing the climbing work (noticing a theme here?). starting out slow, still heavy from our surges. downhill for a bit and quicken pace as the song picks up.
- kerli – walking on air (4:27) : ok, i admit this song is a little out there, but it is really catchy and one of my recent favorites. resistance comes down, steady, quick flat road.
- everclear – everything to everyone (3:21) : running here, in and out of the saddle, so resistance should a little heavier than a normal flat road.
- lana del rey – summertime sadness (remix) (3:35) : finishing with final interval – heavy climbing out of the saddle, with surges in the saddle
- lorde – royals (3:10) : stretch, cool down
but we all know how that usually turns out. I have signed up for the Tobacco Road Half Marathon on Sunday, March 17th. I need your help compiling a good running playlist. Please help! Having good music is an absolute must, and I am actually going to train this time! Feel free to subscribe to my training playlist on Spotify, I will update with your suggestions and another great workout tunes I come across. Here is the link: thirteen.one
I put together a new playlist this week after several weeks of climbing work. This one isn’t too focused on climbing, but a lot of intervals. Play around with the accelerations– wether you focus on speed, strength or out of the saddle work. Here is the Spotify link: cycle tunes 11.15.12 Enjoy!
- maroon 5 – one more night (3:40) : i can’t stop singing this song! so catchy. starting here with stretching/warm up.
- emeli sande – wonder (3:23) : another song i love. initial climb here, nothing crazy. continuing warm up.
- afro jack, eva simons (3:41) – take over control & ellie goulding – anything could happen (4:47) : standing climb with seated accelerations. warm up for 1 min. two rounds of 30 sec out of saddle climb, 30 sec seated push. one minute recovery. three rounds of 30 sec out of saddle climb, 30 sec seated push.
- cold war kids – hang me up to dry (3:39) & savage garden – i want you (3:52) : only steady uphill climb. three peaks. i took the first one slowly and picked up the pace for the final two.
- imagine dragons – it’s time (3:28) : active, flat road.
- outatime – ain’t nobody (5:01) : lifts, in and out of the saddle. i start with 20 sec in/out and progress down to a quick 5 sec in/out.
- kelly clarkson- whyyawannabringmedown (2:43) : recovery here. couple of 20 second accelerations if you need it.
- david guetta, estelle – one love (3:59) : climb- in and out of the saddle. 45 sec in / 45 out.
- madonna – celebration (3:59) : sprints. 25 seconds, 35 second recovery.
- five for fighting – superman (3:41) : cool down / recovery.
hi everyone, a new playlist for this week. it required some last minute changes halfway through as in one of the original songs enrique iglesias used some not so nice language. will definitely put together an “old school jams” playlist for my next class to compensate. here is the spotify link for this ride, enjoy! cycle tunes 10.18.12
- the distillery – bang your mullet (southern style) (3:20) : try not to judge the name of this song. it’s a fun one for warming up and stretching.
- wolf gang – the king and all of his men (4:04) : couple of easy hills as we warm up.
- train – 50 ways to say goodbye (4:08) : surges up hill.
- stevie nicks – edge of seventeen (5:30) : climbing, two tall peaks. i encouraged the class to picture themselves as stevie, wind blowing in her hair, climbing uphill.
- gotye, kimbra – somebody that i used to know (tiesto remix) (4:33) : lifts, in and out of saddle.
- chris brown – don’t wake me up (3:42) : surges.
- rihanna – diamonds (3:45) & needtobreathe – drive all night (4:13) : climbing, two tall peaks.
- capital cities – safe and sound (3:13) : endurance ride, heavy resistance.
- kelly clarkson – whyyawannabringmedown (2:43) : surges
- watermark – gloria (3:11) : cool down and stretching
new playlist to celebrate the approaching end of summer. have a lot of new tunes from some artists you may not recognize– support new bands! here is the link to spotify : cycle tunes 8.23.12 enjoy, please post in comments if you have suggestions!
- kenny chesney – feel like a rock star (3:28) : warm up/stretch
- of monsters and men – mountain sound (3:31) : rolling hills
- calvin harris ft. ne-yo – let’s go (radio edit) (3:46) : sprints
- dragonette – let it go (3:32) : climb
- madonna – turn up the radio – r3hab remix (5:42) : climb, lifts in and out of the saddle
- capital cities – safe and sound (3:13) : continue climb, lifts
- angels and airwaves – the adventure (5:13) : endurance word, lifts
- the wanted – chasing the sun (3:19) : sprints
- nero – promises (skrillex remix) (4:29) : climb, lifts
- florence + the machine – dog days are over (4:12) : recovery, endurance
- kelly clarkson – whyyawannabringmedown (2:43) : last set of sprints!
- sia – breathe me (4:35) : cool down/stretch
hope everyone is enjoying the olympics! as of today, official USA medal count — 29 gold, 15 silver and 19 bronze. woohoo! i have definitely noticed an increase in my class size since the olympics started– so awesome. i love that people are inspired by world class athletes, and jollyspins is a great place to start. 🙂
i found a playlist i had not yet posted. just to warn you, it has a tiny cheese factor, but always fun to ride along to the songs that love to get stuck in your head. enjoy:
- montell jordan – this is how we do it (3:59) : warm up / stretch. blast from the past, i know
- minimalistix – struggle for pleasure (3:56) : seated sprints with standing recovery
- train – drive by (3:17) : flat road, endurance ride. uncomfortable resistance.
- selena gomez – love you like a love song (3:08) : jumps out of the saddle. this starts the beginning of 12 min of out of the saddle/climbing work.
- nina simone – sinnerman remixed (4:35) : out of the saddle, ladder climb
- steppenwolf – magic carpet ride (4:20) : heavy climb, increasing for first 2 minutes. middle 2 min, climbing out of the saddle. drop down and push last 20 seconds.
- republica – ready to go (5:02) : sprints
- christopher cross – ride like the wind (3:57) : flat road, endurance ride. approx 5/10 PRE.
- nikka costa – everybody got their something (4:21) : seated at the start, moving out of saddle at end. focus on speed.
- britney spears – i wanna go (3:30) : i have a love/hate relationship with this song. but it has great energy, so a good one for jumps.
- dave matthews band – why i am (3:54) : last climb, steady up hill. in and out of the saddle at end.
- the doobie brothers – listen to the music (3:47) : cool down / stretch
not only is it friday, but it’s also the opening day for the olympics! go team USA! can’t wait to see the opening ceremonies and cheer on our olympians! (if you cannot tell, i am really excited) as if that were not enough, it’s also the weekend of my favorite event in charlotte– 24 hours of booty. a 24 hour course is set up in the heart of charlotte as a fundraiser for cancer research. i will be out riding on saturday, and i can’t wait to cheer on the riders who may need a little encouragement from a full night of riding. check it out if you are in the area this weekend.
this is an older ride, but full of every good thing to make you sweat: sprints, endurance work, jumps and climbing. enjoy:
- rhianna – we found love (3:36) : warm up/stretch
- coldplay – every teardrop is a waterfall (4:03) : steady, quick climb
- liquid soul – adrenaline (7:54) : endurance work for the full 8 minutes. uncomfortable resistance for the first four minutes. add a tiny bit of resistance. two minutes out of the saddle. final minute in the saddle surge.
- pitbull – rain over me (3:52) : jumps
- simple plan ft. natasha bedingfield – jet lag (3:25) : sprints
- flo rida – good feeling (4:07) : jumps
- lady gaga – edge of glory (5:20) : sprints
- t.i. ft. rhianna – live your life (5:39) : jumps. i cut this song off early to keep within a 45 min class
- katy perry – last friday night (3:51) : finished with sprints. these caught everyone off guard at the end, but a great way to finish the ride.
- hillsong live – the lost are found (8:02) : cooldown/stretch