Hope everyone has had a great summer – I can’t believe it’s almost over, but I’m so lookingforward to cooler falltemps. Here in the South summer equals humidity, and by this time each year I’m just OVER IT.
I actually put together this playlist a few months ago, but just now getting around to posting. There’s a lot of new songs here, and also a few throwbacks I hope you enjoy as well. Here is the Spotify link: cycle tunes 7.09.16
- the strumbellas – spirits (3:23) : warm up.
- needtobreathe – drive all night (4:13) : love this song, it’s got a great beat. starting to climb here. surge uphill on the chorus.
- sia/sean paul – cheap thrills (3:44) : great new song, this one is so fun. sprints here on the chorus. about 30 sec. each.
- the cars – just what i needed (3:45) : keep resistance from the sprints. surges in the saddle, longer stretches of time than the prior set of springs. or if you’re up for another climb, get after it.
- justin beiber – sorry (3:20) : lifts in and out of the saddle
- red hot chili peppers – dark necessities (5:02) : this is a longer one, but our first peak climb of the day. about four resistance additions to the top, or more if you like to space them out a bit.
- p!nk – just like fire (3:36) : bring this one back down to the flat road and sprint on the chorus. they’re about 30 sec. each.
- coldplay – paradise (4:38) : keep resistance from prior set of sprints. enjoy the flat road, with one increase. longer surges in the saddle.
- meghan trainor – NO (3:33) : i have a love/hate relationship with this song. get the resistance heavy in the beginning and then surge downhill. repeat through balance of the song.
- the black crowes – jealous again (4:34) : final climb of the day. this is a fun one, surge up to the top.
- flo rida – my house (3:12) : lifts in and out of the saddle.
- red hot chili peppers (4:25) : i was on a RHCP kick when i made this playlist. love them. cool down and stretch.
It’s been a hot minute since I’ve published a new playlist– I promise to do better and even hope to add some video content in the future. I’m going to the Jimmy Buffett concert tonight and Huey Lewis is opening (think I’m more excited for him than Mr. Margaritaville), so I had to play one of my favorite Huey Lewis & the News songs.
Also- make sure to follow me on twitter (www.twitter.com/jollyspins) and snapchat (jollyspins) as I ramp up website activity!
Enjoy this playlist, and feel free to provide feedback and suggestions for songs you’d like to see in the comments section, I love reading them!
Here is the spotify link: 04.23.16 playlist
- Coleman Hell – 2 Heads (3:32) : warm up and stretching
- Huey Lewis & The News – The Heart of Rock and Roll (4:05) : Rolling hills to get started. I aimed for an 80% max resistance hill, 2x.
- The Rolling Stones – Paint It, Black (3:22) : I love this song. Short sprints, each 15 seconds, with a 15 second break.
- Vance Joy – Fire and the Flood (4:09) : Endurance surges. 1 minute each, 1 minute break. 2x. I love these, they can be really challenging if you get your pace and resistance right. Should be a challenge, but not as fast as sprints and you’re holding for longer period of time.
- Flo Rida – Run (3:52) : Sprints. First is 15 sec, second is 20 sec, and third is 30 seconds. Each begins on the minute mark.
- Jonas Blue – Fast Car (3:32) : Lifts in and out of the saddle. I can’t believe someone actually remixed this song, but it works.
- The Rolling Stones – Sympathy for the Devil (6:17) : Endurance surges. 1 minute each, with 1 minute break. 3x.
- Galantis – Runaway (3:47) : Uphill, quick pace. Surges in the saddle as you climb.
- JR JR – Gone (3:47) : Final set of endurance surges. 1 minute each, 1 minute break. 2x.
- Lana Del Rey – Blue Jeans RAC Mix (3:38) : Lifts in and out of saddle.
- Flo Rida – My House (3:12) : Anyone else obsessed with this song? Three sprints, 30 seconds each. They’re roughly at each :45 sec mark. 30 sec recovery in between.
- Dawes – All Your Favorite Bands (3:35) : Cool down and stretch.
Hi all – can’t believe this year is already over. Here’s a little playlist to get you get excited for the New Year’s Resolution-ers! You can find the spotify link here: cycle tunes 10.24.15
- Steely Dan – Peg (4:00) : Warm Up, stretch
- Josh Ritter – Getting Ready to Get Down (3:16) : Rolling hills
- Miike Snow – Animal (4:23) : Climbing. Quickly building to a heavy hill, once you get there, moving in and out of the saddle.
- Katy Perry – This is How We Do (3:24) : Sprints. Three sprints. 20 sec at 0:40; 20 sec at 1:30; and 30 sec at 2:20.
- Justin Beiber – What do you Mean? (3:28) : Recovery. Build to climbing, surges in the saddle uphill.
- Benny Benassi – Cinema (3:03) : Lifts in and out of the saddle. I LOVE this song. You can also use this one for sprints if you want an extra challenge.
- will.i.am – THE (The Hardest Ever) (4:07) : Climbing, reaching heavy peak.
- Tove Stryke – Number One (3:25) : Flat road. Keep it challenging with 60 second surges.
- Mumford and Sons – Lover of the Light (5:15) : Quick surges uphill
- Electric Guest – This Head I Hold (2:56) : Lifts, in and out entire song.
- Maroon 5 – Animals (3:51) : Sprints. 20 sec at 1:02; 40 sec at 2:03 and 40 sec at 3:06.
- Adele – Hello (4:55) : Stretching and cool down
Hi everyone! It’s been a while since my last post, but I haven’t forgotten about you! I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I transitioned into subbing classes rather than being on the regular schedule so I don’t create new playlists too often. This one was a doozy. Lots of very different, and fun music though, enjoy! (I’ll publish an update with the spotify link later today)
- Avicii – The Days (4:38) : warm up, stretching
- Steve Miller Band – Take the Monday and Run (2:52) : quick hills
- Calvin Harris – Summer (3:43) : sprints. 3, 30-sec sprints at 0:49, 2:04, and 3:04
- Mumford & Sons – I Will Wait (4:37) : quick flat road, finish with a surge uphill
- CCR – Fortunate Son (2:18) : quick downhill recovery. speed up at the finish.
- Katy Perry – Hot N Cold (3:40) : sprints. 30-sec sprints at 0:33 and 1:38; 45-sec sprint at 2:48
- Mark Ronson – Uptown Fund (4:30) : lifts in and out of saddle
- Arno Cast & Norman Doray – Strong (5:54) : I’m going to call this one a free for all. I built resistance throughout and wove in lifts when the pace of the song lightened up a bit. Have fun with this one.
- Dr. Hook – Cover of the Rolling Stone (2:52) : Quick pace, recovery.
- Givers – Up Up Up (4:34) : Climbing, fun quick pace.
- Maroon 5 – Lucky Strike (3:05) : lifts
- Four Tops – Reach Out I’ll Be There (3:18) : cool down, stretching
new playlist to celebrate the approaching end of summer. have a lot of new tunes from some artists you may not recognize– support new bands! here is the link to spotify : cycle tunes 8.23.12 enjoy, please post in comments if you have suggestions!
- kenny chesney – feel like a rock star (3:28) : warm up/stretch
- of monsters and men – mountain sound (3:31) : rolling hills
- calvin harris ft. ne-yo – let’s go (radio edit) (3:46) : sprints
- dragonette – let it go (3:32) : climb
- madonna – turn up the radio – r3hab remix (5:42) : climb, lifts in and out of the saddle
- capital cities – safe and sound (3:13) : continue climb, lifts
- angels and airwaves – the adventure (5:13) : endurance word, lifts
- the wanted – chasing the sun (3:19) : sprints
- nero – promises (skrillex remix) (4:29) : climb, lifts
- florence + the machine – dog days are over (4:12) : recovery, endurance
- kelly clarkson – whyyawannabringmedown (2:43) : last set of sprints!
- sia – breathe me (4:35) : cool down/stretch
not only is it friday, but it’s also the opening day for the olympics! go team USA! can’t wait to see the opening ceremonies and cheer on our olympians! (if you cannot tell, i am really excited) as if that were not enough, it’s also the weekend of my favorite event in charlotte– 24 hours of booty. a 24 hour course is set up in the heart of charlotte as a fundraiser for cancer research. i will be out riding on saturday, and i can’t wait to cheer on the riders who may need a little encouragement from a full night of riding. check it out if you are in the area this weekend.
this is an older ride, but full of every good thing to make you sweat: sprints, endurance work, jumps and climbing. enjoy:
- rhianna – we found love (3:36) : warm up/stretch
- coldplay – every teardrop is a waterfall (4:03) : steady, quick climb
- liquid soul – adrenaline (7:54) : endurance work for the full 8 minutes. uncomfortable resistance for the first four minutes. add a tiny bit of resistance. two minutes out of the saddle. final minute in the saddle surge.
- pitbull – rain over me (3:52) : jumps
- simple plan ft. natasha bedingfield – jet lag (3:25) : sprints
- flo rida – good feeling (4:07) : jumps
- lady gaga – edge of glory (5:20) : sprints
- t.i. ft. rhianna – live your life (5:39) : jumps. i cut this song off early to keep within a 45 min class
- katy perry – last friday night (3:51) : finished with sprints. these caught everyone off guard at the end, but a great way to finish the ride.
- hillsong live – the lost are found (8:02) : cooldown/stretch
today’s ride was the hardest one i’ve put together in a while. i definitely regretted teaching back to back classes and using the same playlist for both. great range of music here, so a little something for everyone. enjoy!
- white stripes – my doorbell (4:01) : warm up/stretch
- kip moore – somethin’ bout a truck (3:34) : first climb. this was fun because i never play country, i may have to do that more often! i increased intensity with each section of the song.
- lady gaga – marry the night (4:25) : sprints 30/30/30
- adrenaline – liquid soul (7:51) : this was super fun. moderate incline, one minute out of the saddle climb, one minute in the saddle surge. sounds easy, but a total of 4 rounds with no recovery really wears you out.
- adam lambert – never close our eyes (4:08) : recovery for the first minute, then back to sprints. 30/30/30
- neon trees – everybody talks (2:59) : out of the saddle sprints, 20/20/20
- cream – white room (4:58) : what a great, classic rock song. some additional recovery time in the beginning and then straight uphill ascent. in last 2-3 minutes, i had class hit the in the saddle peak, then out of saddle peak, and then back in the saddle for final 30-45 seconds. intense!
- marianas trench – haven’t had enough (3:30) : sprints again, but i had a 5rpm increase for 10 seconds, and then when chorus jams out, we sprinted all out for 15 seconds. there were 3 of those.
- justin beiber & nicki minaj – beauty and a beat (3;48) : jumps. rotating 30 seconds in, 30 seconds out.
- i had another set of sprints built in at this point, but everyone looked like they were going to die, so i didn’t go for it. i’ll save that one for later!
- katy perry – wide awake (3:41) : stretch/cool down
summer is officially here, and i love it! this playlist is a pretty random mix of tunes, but i love focusing on sweat-inducing endurance work during the summer. here is the spotify link: endurance ride 5.31.12
- lecrae – walking on water (3:41) : warm up/stretch
- benny benassi ft. gary go – control (3:29) : endurance pushes, focusing on speed – 90rpms, adding gear until you hit a 70% perceived rate of exertion (PRE). 1 min at 70%, 45 sec 80%, 1 min 70%.
- britt nicole – amazing life (3:34) : sprints on chorus.
- queen – another one bites the dust (3:35) : steady, in the saddle climb. heavy peak.
- ok go – here it goes again (3:00) : back to endurance work. 1 min 70%, 1 min 80%, 1 min 70%.
- the ataris – boys of summer (4:18) : sprints on chorus.
- bruno mars – runaway baby (2:28) : in and out of the saddle climb. it is quick, but don’t skimp on intensity.
- tom petty – running down a dream (4:23) : long, steady run. 4 min in the saddle. increases on each minute. class needs to get in the zone here, but don’t let them slack on speed!
- marvin gaye – ain’t no mountain (2:26) : if the class really gave their all on the last four minutes, i use this for recovery. if they slacked off, i would bring them out of the saddle for a climb here.
- LMFAO – party rock anthem (4:26) : endurance pushes. 90 sec at 70%, 90 sec at 80%, 90 sec at 70%.
- katy perry – E.T. (benny benassi radio edit) (3:21) : sprints on chorus. last set. three, heavy 30 sec sprints. i took these out of the saddle to give the bottom a break, but if you used the earlier recovery for out of saddle climb, it may not be necessary here.
- the black keys – lonely boy (3:13) : final climb, quick in the saddle.
- the lumineers – stubborn love (4:39) : cool down, stretch.
this is my first attempt to link my spotify account with the Jollyspins blog. if all goes well, you’ll be able to subscribe to my new playlists and link directly to my account if you are trying any of these rides on your own. if you aren’t familiar with spotify, i highly recommend the app. as an instructor, it is has given me the ability to create a new playlist each week, which is a huge treat for both me and my classes. whether or not you’re an aerobics instructor, i highly recommend that you check it out! this week’s playlist is a fairly simple profile: hill, flat road endurance and then sprint. here is the spotify link : cycle tunes 5.25.12
- kris allen – live like we’re dying (3:33) : warm up/stretch
- shinedown – the crow and the butterfly (4:14) : steady, in the saddle climb. one min quick seated, one min push speed 10%, one min out of the saddle. increasing resistance every 30 seconds. my classes love shinedown, so this is always a hit.
- young and the giant – my body (4:04) : flat road, steady push for the entire 4 minutes. you can switch up by adding a little gear and holding for a minute, backing off, etc.
- FNA – take me home tonight (gregory ferguson remix) (3:25) : 3 sprints. 0:47 – 1:09 (20 sec); 1:48 – 2:17 (30 sec); 2:50 – 3:20 (30 sec).
- the beatards – don’t step on my sneakers (3:13) : back to the climb. this one is in and out of the saddle.
- maroon 5 – moves like jagger (3:21) : flat road endurance work.
- elton john – saturday night’s alright for fighting (4:55) : sprints. i usually go for longer sprints here.
- whitney houston – i wanna dance with somebody (junior’s happy handbag remix) (4:25) : this is a bit of recovery, finishing with an in and out of the saddle jog.
- thousand foot crutch – move (3:29) : i love this jam. back to the climb. heavy load and quicken speed uphill on the “move” command.
- john o’callaghan – find yourself (2:32) : quick, flat road endurance work.
- hinder – born to be wild (3:59) : sprints.
- florence + the machine – the dog days are over (4:13) : cool down and stretch.
apologies for the cheesy title, but i tried to incorporate “spin” into the title of each song on this playlist and that was the best i came up with. if the title doesn’t give it away, this is an 80’s themed ride. it was so fun, a great success! i had participants debating with me that certain songs weren’t actually recorded in the 1980’s (there is one on this playlist, take a guess in the comments– no googling!) such a fun ride and with so many great songs from the 80s, i already have a volume 2 going. here is the spotify link: 80s tunes.
- kim wilde – you keep me hanging on (4:15) : i played this one before class started, folks setting up their bikes. this is the warning that the next 45 minutes are all 80s music, here’s your last chance to hit up the zumba class.
- michael jackson – rock with you (3:40) : stretch and warm/up.
- queen – we will rock you (2:02) : this is a short, first climb. adding 2 gears every 20-30 seconds. out of the saddle for the last 30 seconds.
- fine young cannibals – she drives me crazy (3:36) and hall & oates – you make my dreams (3:11) : pyramid work for the next 8 minutes. adding 2 gears, hold for 30 seconds, and then add 5 rpms every 30 seconds. last minute, slowly reduce resistance to initial flat road.
- eurythmics – sweet dreams (steve angello remix) (5:31) : this one is sort of a cop out because i have played it before and it’s actually a remix of the original song. but it’s a good remix and a much needed faster paced song for our only set of flat road sprints. get that resistance ready for the quick pace. 4, 30 second sprints at 0:55, 2:27, 3:27 and 4:30.
- huey lewis & the news – power of love (3:54) : quick, cool down from the sprints. flat road, steadily adding on. quick jumps out of the saddle.
- pat benatar – heartbreaker (3:27) : heavier sprints, uphill. they are short, so don’t be afraid to add heavy gear. 0:39 – 1:01, 1:24 – 1:45, 2:20 – 2:50.
- j. geils band – centerfold (3:37) and the romantics – what i like about you (2:55) : here are lifts in and out of the saddle. for the first song, we are getting in the groove. 6 count on first chorus, 4 count on second chorus and 6 count on third chorus. holding gear in the saddle during the lyrics. for the second song, 6 count for the first minute, 4 count for the second minute and 6 count for the final third minute. so important to protect your knees on this and keep that resistance at a slightly uncomfortable level.
- billy ocean – get outta dreams (5:37) : i didn’t play this entire song (although, it is probably one of my favorite songs ever) but used as a recovery from the sprints for the first 2 minutes and then out of the saddle run for another 1-2 minutes. just a chance to catch your breath before the final climb.
- joan jett – i hate myself for loving you (4:07) : final climb. make this one as heavy as possible. sprints uphill are heavy. start at moderate incline, on my cue add several gears, enough to make it heavy and uncomfortable. then break into 20 sec sprint. 0:50 – add gear, sprint at 1:02 – 1:32. back gear off for break. 2:05 – add gear, sprint at 2:11 – 2:22ish. break. 2:50 – add gear, sprint at 2:56 – 3:26. break. final push at 3:44 – 4:00.
- john mellancamp – jack & diane (4:16) : seriously, this really could be my favorite song ever. time for cool down and stretch.
enjoy this playlist! i got a lot of great feedback, so an inspiration to do more themed rides! any suggestions?