A new playlist for all the devoted followers out there! Thanks for sticking with me and continuing to check the site. I’m absolutely committed to making these more regular, and adding a few different types of posts for fitness professionals of all types, so please stay tuned!
This playlist has a few explicit songs, so just be aware of that if you have young riders or people sensitive to a few choice lyrics. I always appreciate your feedback, so please email me: email@example.com if you have any requests!
Here is the Spotify link to this 45 min playlist (9.25.18 playlist):
- the isley brothers – it’s your thing (2:47) : warm up and stretch
- coldplay – sky full of stars (4:28) : start at a moderate flat road, building resistance, but you’re just getting started, so nothing too crazy. at 1:18 this song really picks up, just this as a quick sprint (roughly 20 sec). slow down, keep the resistance for about 20 sec, and then go for a second build of resistance. the second burst of speed comes at 2:48 and is quite a bit longer. i’d push the class to hold for the full minute and then recover.
- kevin rudolf – let it rock (3:53) : man, one of my all time favorite songs for spin. so high energy. you’ve had a chance to recover with the end of the last song. these are shorter, so you can handle heavier gear. sprints: 0:42 (15 sec), 1:33 (20 sec), 2:41 (30 sec).
- imagine dragons – thunder (3:07) : bring it back to about 75% of your max resistance. take this at a steady pace for the full 3 minutes, can bring it out of the saddle for a punch during the chorus.
- matt simons, et al – catch & release (remix) (3:16) : keep that gear heavy from the end of thunder. this song has an easy beat. keep that pace quick and steady, but continue to build resistance. punch out of the saddle at 0:51 for 20 seconds, drop down and push it on the gear. continue to build the hill. another push out of the saddle at 2:28. it should be super heavy at this point – ready for the downhill to come.
- walk the moon – anna sun (5:21) : quick run to release tension of that hill. drop resistance, to about 60-70% of max. first sprint is about 0:51 for 30 seconds; second at 1:51 (30 seconds); at this point, you can build a little gear for the heavier sprints. third spring at 3:30 (it goes a bit, you can make this one 30 sec); final sprint you can build in at 4:18 (30 sec).
- no doubt – just a girl (3:28) : lifts in and out of the saddle. you’ll want to reach at least 75% resistance to protect knees when you’re standing. quick lifts in and out of the saddle in chorus.
- lorde – million dollar bills (2:18) : this is a short one. try to keep that 75% resistance, 75% of max speed for a full 2 minutes.
- the black crowes – jealous again (4:34) : this starts another heavy block of work. quick start at the base of the climb. pick up speed with each chorus (they’re 20 seconds each), but keep adding resistance throughout.
- soundgarten – fell on black days (4:43) : this one starts heavy, maintain that resistance you had built. this is a slow one, which matches the heavy gear. can you push it heavier?
- ariana grande – into you (4:04) : bring that resistance down from that heavy hill. we’re going to finish the ride with a few sprints. first one at 0:55 (30 sec); 2:06 (35 sec); 3:20 (30 sec).
- india.arie – video (4:10) : cool down and stretch
Yall, I’ve been promising new content forever and a day, and enough with the talk– here it is! Playlist here is pretty random, so hopefully something for everyone!
Hope y’all continue to check the site for new playlists. Last year was a DOOZY (baby, move, etc.) so with things slowing down a bit, I’ll be on my A-game this year.
Enjoy the ride and as always, here is the spotify playlist (spotify playlist 1.22.18)
- Tom Petty – American Girl (3:34) : warm up, stretch it out
- John Mellancamp – Small Town (3:41) : let’s get it going with a few rolling hills. Quick beat, so not crazy heavy…. yet. Steadily add resistance and pick up the pace with each chorus.
- Imagine Dragons – Thunder (3:07) : MAN I LOVE THIS SONG SO MUCH. It gets me so pumped up. I like this one for heavier sprints. Not all out on speed– you’ve got plenty of resistance to slow you a bit, but it’s not a heavy climb. Sprints at 0:23 and 1:14 (20 sec each) and then last one at 2:05 is about 50 sec.
- Katy Perry and Kanye West – E.T. (3:49) : sprints, each on the chorus about 30 sec
- Fall Out Boy – Centuries (3:48) : I really wanted this to be a sprint song, but it’s just not there. The pick ups in speed are too short for flat road sprints. Steady increases in resistance, picking up out of the saddle when beat picks up.
- Free – All Right Now (5:34) : here is your steady, uphill climb. Lots of variations in the music throughly the 5min+ song and opportunities to take it out of the saddle, speed up, etc.
- Hardwell – Power (2:28) : let’s flush that lactic acid out of your legs with a quick flat road. Two sprints, each 30 sec long at 0:30 and 1:39.
- Mi Gente – J Balvin, et al feat Beyonce (3:29) : interesting beat here. I like it for in and out of the saddle climb.
- NF – Let You Down (3:32) : back to climbing, this song has several slow bits, take the resistance up here and make it a heavy climb. kind of like a reverse sprint. Take the heavy bits in the saddle and give a little break on resistance and lift out of the saddle when beat picks up.
- Coldplay – Every Teardrop is a Waterfall (4:00) : endurance work. This song is 4 minutes. Aim for 2, 90sec pushes in the saddle with about 75-80% resistance.
- B.o.B – Paper Route (3:32) : lifts in and out of the saddle
- Fleetwood Mac – Everywhere (3:46) : cool down and stretch
Hi everyone! Hope y’all have had a great start to 2015, and if you’re an instructor, I’m sure you’re in the midst of the busy “resolution season!” While gyms are a little more crowded than normal, it is fun encouraging new faces and cheering people on toward their goals.
I have a new playlist for you — based on feedback from my class this morning, I think it’s a good one. A lot of heavy climbing, with a couple of flat road sprints/surges mixes in. Here is the spotify link, enjoy! cyle tunes 1.12.15
- hogni – bow down (2:41) : warm up, stretching
- florence + the machine – dog days are over (4:12) : i haven’t played this one in a while, but a couple of easy hills to get things started
- guns n’ roses – sweet child o’ mine (5:56) : this is the beginning of over 8 minutes of climbing. here is the first half. i started with one solid peak to the top over the course of this song, four increases to the top.
- 3OH!3 – back to life (3:46) : finishing up the climb here. slight downhill and then a steep increase at the end
- wolfmother – woman (2:56) : quick flat road here to recover from the climbing, approx 70% of max resistance, quick pace
- katy perry – this is how we do (3:24) : I can’t help it, this is one of my favorite songs and I continue to add to my playlists. time for some lifts in and out of the saddle
- sia – chandelier (3:36) : surges in the saddle
- avicii – the days (4:38) : time for our second set of hills. first peak over the course of this song.
- coldplay – a sky full of stars (4:28) : second peak, this is it for the heavy hills!
- mark ronson/bruno mars – uptown funk (4:31) : lifts in and out of the saddle
- calvin harris – feel so close (3:26) : surges in the saddle
- ben howard – keep your head up (4:25) : cool down / stretching
another playlist to start your thanskgiving weekend. sprinting, climbing and finishing with some tabata work. enjoy! here is the spotify link : cycle tunes 11.4.13
- miley cyrus – wrecking ball (3:43) : everyone loves to hate on miley, but this is a good one to start stretching / warm up work
- u2 – mysterious ways (4:03) : couple of easy hills to get us started
- katy perry – walking on air (3:43) : i’m loving the new katy perry cd. lifts in and out of the saddle
- rudimental – not giving in (4:00) : i like to keep the resistance from the lifts and then move uphill from there. this is our first heavy peak.
- maroon 5 – harder to breathe (4:08) : sprints
- bastille – pompeii (3:34) : steady, quick flat road
- bonnie tyler – holding out for a hero (5:49) : continuing the flat road for a bit, i usually cut this one a little short
- m.y.c. – rock (5:38) : hope you are ready for tabata time! as a reminder – all out,80% exertion for 20 seconds, ten second break. repeat 7 times. total of 8 rounds. this should tire you out, don’t hold back on those 20 second surges.
- raphael saadiq – heart attack (3:04) : little bit of recovery, i usually cut a little short so we have a strong finish
- pitbull – timber (3:24) : finishing with quick lifts in and out of the saddle
- drake – hold on (3:48) : cool down / recovery
hi friends – one of my oldest, favorite rides. hope you enjoy! here is the spotify link : cycle tunes 7.15.13
- dazz band – let it whip (4:29) : warm up / stretch
- aerosmith – sweet emotion (3:15) : let’s get going – steady little uphill climb, surges to get us there quickly.
- the rolling stones – paint it black (3:44) : surges on the pick ups in song – each about 15 sec long, approx 10-15 sec break in between. this is a good one!
- prince – kiss (3:46) : steady climb uphill
- kelis – acapella (4:08) : remember the girl who sang “my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard”? well, here she is bringing the heat, with sprints. each approx 35-45 sec on the chorus. have fun.
- lady gaga – poker face (3:57) : climb uphill, surges on the chorus
- kevin rudolf – let it rock (3:51) : lifts, in and out of the saddle
- u2 – vertigo (3:14) : i would love a flat-road right now, but it’s not happening. steady climb uphill
- needtobreathe – let us love (3:42) : quick, out of saddle surges on chorus
- peaches & herb – shake your groove thing (5:46) : i accidentally chose the long version here, i cut short in the middle of class. flat road endurance, a couple of short surges in the saddle (some of out of saddle if our bottoms need a break!)
- p!nk – trouble (3:11) : last one – sprints on chorus
- rolling stones – gimme shelter (4:32) : slow / cool down
hi everyone – we had a really warm, humid cycle class this morning. glad i spared everyone a double tabata day, but don’t think everyone will be so lucky next week. here is a new playlist, and the link to spotify is here: cycle tunes 6.17.13 enjoy!
- needtobreathe – white fences (3:46) : warm up / stretch.
- gnarls barkley – run [i’m a natural disaster] (2:45) : quick set of surges to get everyone started.
- eurythmics – sweet dreams (remix) 5:31: first of two tabata rounds. 20 hard core, heavier resistance than your surges. 10 sec recovery. repeat 7 times (total of 8 rounds for the non-mathematicians).
- kerli – the lucky ones (3:56) : recovery, followed by quick seated flat.
- manfred mann’s earth band – blinded by the light (3:49) : heavy seated climb.
- fergie, q-tip, etc. – a little party never killed nobody (4:01) : heavy, pushing uphill in quick surges. may need some out of the saddle work at this point. p.s. – song title reflects their grammar, not mine.
- till the world ends (remix) : britney spears (5:20) : second tabata round.
- walk the moon – anna sun (5:22) : i’ve said this before – one of my favorite spin songs! quick flat road.
- v v brown – l.o.v.e. (2:58) : heavier load, moving uphill. fun song!
- bruce springsteen – radio nowhere (3:21) : quick surges.
- genesis – that’s all (4:26) : cool down / stretch
wow– two months since my last jollyspins post. please forgive me! life has been a little crazy, but here is a new playlist for you as we head into the summer months. this ride features TWO sets of our tabata work. definitely a strong way to start your weekend. here is the link to the spotify playlist: cycle tunes 5.2.13
- daft punk, pharrell williams – get lucky (4:09) : warm up / stretch.
- parov stelar – the paris swing box (5:22) : i’m trying to mix up my musical genres here. pretty cool song. continue warm up until 0:52, and then move into an out of the saddle climb, followed by in the saddle surge.
- skrillex, the doors – breakn a sweat (5:02) : first tabata set. 20 sec on / 10 sec recovery. a total of 8 rounds.
- the edgar winters group – free ride (3:07) : recovery from tabata, followed by active, 50% intensity flat road.
- alex gaudino – i’m in love (3:37) : lifts, in and out of the saddle.
- icona pop – i love it (2:37) : i really love this song. sadly spotify doesn’t have the radio edit, so watch out on a few not so friendly words on this one. a quick push uphill, with surges on the chorus.
- diddy, dirty money – coming home (3:59) : long climb uphill. three increases to the top, steady pace.
- fatboy slim, mogual – ya mama (push the tempo) (6:07) : second tabata set.
- fitz and the tantrums – don’t gotta work it out (4:09) : recovery from tabata. flat road if needed, but i cut this one short after two minutes.
- nicki minaj – va va voom (3:04) : as is always the case with nicki minaj, go with the edited version. final set of lifts. everyone is pretty wiped out at this point.
- scissor sisters – take your mama (4:32) : cool down / stretch.
hi everyone– i apologize for the huge lag time between posts. please forgive me, i hope to be back to my normal schedule (and FINALLY get some of those video questions answered!).
i have always enjoyed interval training, and was pumped to finally incorporate some tabata training into my ride. a little about tabata training: tabata was founded in japan by izumi tabata. he conducted tests on two groups of athletes; comparing moderate high intensity with high intensity interval training (HIIT).
the results were that the athletes training in high intensity interval training improved their aerobic systems as well as their anaerobic system. the athletes who did the moderate high intensity training only improved their aerobic system and had little to no increase in their anaerobic system. very cool!
we will definitely see more tabata work in the future, enjoy this first ride:
- calvin harris – feel so close (3:27) : stretch / warm up.
- k’naan – the sound of my breaking heart (3:50) and macklemore & ryan lewis – can’t hold us (4:19) : climbing. three increases to peak resistance, drop down to second resistance and then ride out at high speed.
- kelly clarkson – get up (3:47) : lifts in and out of saddle. any dallas cowboys fans out there? this is their anthem!
- florence and the machine – shake it out (4:38) & la roux – bulletproof (3:43) : climbing. three increases to peak, drop down slightly, up to peak, and then dropping back slightly for quick finish.
- ellie goulding – anything could happen (4:46) : this is a crowd favorite. lifts.
- needtobreathe – let us love (3:43) : recovery before tabata time. i incorporated a one minute, 85-90 rpm at uncomfortable gear to prevent getting too comfortable. chance to explain the tabata training.
- m.y.c. – rock! (5:38) : tabata time. 20 sec on, 10 sec off. repeat 7 times. (total of 8 surges). gear here should be heavier than normal sprint.
- olly murs – troublemaker (3:07) : recovery! well earned by this point. finished with a final, one minute push in the saddle.
- parachute – white dress (3:36) : cool down / recovery.
hi everyone! new playlist this week. sort of a hodge-podge of tunes… but i thought it worked well. here is the spotify link, enjoy! cycle tunes 1.31.13
- bruno mars – marry you (3:50) : stretch / warm up. realized i should have saved this one for the valentine’s day ride, but it’s a fun one to use for warmup.
- ciara ft. usher – turn it up (3:09) : usher is not my favorite, but i think it’s a great tune for seated surges on the chorus.
- swedish house mafia – don’t you worry child (3:33) & chris wallace – remember when (push rewind) (3:14) : quick climbs here. two peaks, surge on each increase.
- christina aguilera – your body (4:00) : sprints.
- r3hab & zroq – skydrop (radio edit) (3:04) : lifts in and out of the saddle. i know you want a break, but just wait for it!
- chris willis – put your hands up (3:30) : surges.
- zz top – legs (3:36) & kings of leon (radioactive – remix ft. west angeles mass choir) (3:29) : final climb, two peaks, heavy.
- jay sean – boom boom (3:17) : final set of lifts.
- pit bull – don’t stop the party (3:26) : standing climb, seated surge on chorus.
- tyrone wells – and the birds sing (3:42) : cool down.
hi everyone! hope you are enjoying an extended MLK weekend. this playlist may be one of my favorites… a lot of endurance work (which relies on the class really pushing themselves on the long stretches of uncomfortable resistance), but a few climbs to break up the ride. here is the spotify link, enjoy! cycle tunes 1.17.13
- the script, will.i.am – hall of fame (3:23) : really great warm up song.
- calvin harris, florence welch – sweet nothing (3:33) : quick seated surges on the chorus.
- liquid soul – adrenaline (7:51) : here comes the endurance work. almost 8 minutes in the saddle. uncomfortable resistance, but not a direct uphill climb. can mix it up with one minute out of the saddle, one minute 5 rpm surge, etc.
- icona pop – i love it (2:36) : ok, i really like the pop beat of this song, but there are a few unfavorable words that i had to manually edit. but it’s so fun! time for lifts in and out of the saddle.
- chris brown – don’t wake me up (3:43) : surges/sprints.
- golden earring – radar love (3:44) : ok, this song was recorded before my dad was out of high school (love that it’s sandwiched between chris brown and jessie j). but it’s really great for climbing.
- jessie j – domino (3:52) : surges and/or lifts.
- morgan page – body work (4:00) : another solid endurance push. can also move into a slight uphill climb toward the end.
- u2 – where the streets have no name (4:47) : feel free to continue with some endurance work (i skipped ahead for the first 1 min or so of song to keep momentum) or move into climbing.
- ke$ha – die young (3:32) : can’t believe i used ke$ha, but i did. sprints to finish the ride.
- the head and the heart – lost in my mind (4:19) : stretch / cool down.