Hope everyone has had a great summer – I can’t believe it’s almost over, but I’m so looking forward to cooler faller temps. Here in the South summer equals humidity, and by this time each year I’m just OVER IT.
I actually put together this playlist a few months ago, but just now getting around to posting. There’s a lot of new songs here, and also a few throwbacks I hope you enjoy as well. Here is the Spotify link: cycle tunes 7.09.16
- the strumbellas – spirits (3:23) : warm up.
- needtobreathe – drive all night (4:13) : love this song, it’s got a great beat. starting to climb here. surge uphill on the chorus.
- sia/sean paul – cheap thrills (3:44) : great new song, this one is so fun. sprints here on the chorus. about 30 sec. each.
- the cars – just what i needed (3:45) : keep resistance from the sprints. surges in the saddle, longer stretches of time than the prior set of springs. or if you’re up for another climb, get after it.
- justin beiber – sorry (3:20) : lifts in and out of the saddle
- red hot chili peppers – dark necessities (5:02) : this is a longer one, but our first peak climb of the day. about four resistance additions to the top, or more if you like to space them out a bit.
- p!nk – just like fire (3:36) : bring this one back down to the flat road and sprint on the chorus. they’re about 30 sec. each.
- coldplay – paradise (4:38) : keep resistance from prior set of sprints. enjoy the flat road, with one increase. longer surges in the saddle.
- meghan trainor – NO (3:33) : i have a love/hate relationship with this song. get the resistance heavy in the beginning and then surge downhill. repeat through balance of the song.
- the black crowes – jealous again (4:34) : final climb of the day. this is a fun one, surge up to the top.
- flo rida – my house (3:12) : lifts in and out of the saddle.
- red hot chili peppers (4:25) : i was on a RHCP kick when i made this playlist. love them. cool down and stretch.
It’s been a hot minute since I’ve published a new playlist– I promise to do better and even hope to add some video content in the future. I’m going to the Jimmy Buffett concert tonight and Huey Lewis is opening (think I’m more excited for him than Mr. Margaritaville), so I had to play one of my favorite Huey Lewis & the News songs.
Also- make sure to follow me on twitter (www.twitter.com/jollyspins) and snapchat (jollyspins) as I ramp up website activity!
Enjoy this playlist, and feel free to provide feedback and suggestions for songs you’d like to see in the comments section, I love reading them!
Here is the spotify link: 04.23.16 playlist
- Coleman Hell – 2 Heads (3:32) : warm up and stretching
- Huey Lewis & The News – The Heart of Rock and Roll (4:05) : Rolling hills to get started. I aimed for an 80% max resistance hill, 2x.
- The Rolling Stones – Paint It, Black (3:22) : I love this song. Short sprints, each 15 seconds, with a 15 second break.
- Vance Joy – Fire and the Flood (4:09) : Endurance surges. 1 minute each, 1 minute break. 2x. I love these, they can be really challenging if you get your pace and resistance right. Should be a challenge, but not as fast as sprints and you’re holding for longer period of time.
- Flo Rida – Run (3:52) : Sprints. First is 15 sec, second is 20 sec, and third is 30 seconds. Each begins on the minute mark.
- Jonas Blue – Fast Car (3:32) : Lifts in and out of the saddle. I can’t believe someone actually remixed this song, but it works.
- The Rolling Stones – Sympathy for the Devil (6:17) : Endurance surges. 1 minute each, with 1 minute break. 3x.
- Galantis – Runaway (3:47) : Uphill, quick pace. Surges in the saddle as you climb.
- JR JR – Gone (3:47) : Final set of endurance surges. 1 minute each, 1 minute break. 2x.
- Lana Del Rey – Blue Jeans RAC Mix (3:38) : Lifts in and out of saddle.
- Flo Rida – My House (3:12) : Anyone else obsessed with this song? Three sprints, 30 seconds each. They’re roughly at each :45 sec mark. 30 sec recovery in between.
- Dawes – All Your Favorite Bands (3:35) : Cool down and stretch.
Hi all – can’t believe this year is already over. Here’s a little playlist to get you get excited for the New Year’s Resolution-ers! You can find the spotify link here: cycle tunes 10.24.15
- Steely Dan – Peg (4:00) : Warm Up, stretch
- Josh Ritter – Getting Ready to Get Down (3:16) : Rolling hills
- Miike Snow – Animal (4:23) : Climbing. Quickly building to a heavy hill, once you get there, moving in and out of the saddle.
- Katy Perry – This is How We Do (3:24) : Sprints. Three sprints. 20 sec at 0:40; 20 sec at 1:30; and 30 sec at 2:20.
- Justin Beiber – What do you Mean? (3:28) : Recovery. Build to climbing, surges in the saddle uphill.
- Benny Benassi – Cinema (3:03) : Lifts in and out of the saddle. I LOVE this song. You can also use this one for sprints if you want an extra challenge.
- will.i.am – THE (The Hardest Ever) (4:07) : Climbing, reaching heavy peak.
- Tove Stryke – Number One (3:25) : Flat road. Keep it challenging with 60 second surges.
- Mumford and Sons – Lover of the Light (5:15) : Quick surges uphill
- Electric Guest – This Head I Hold (2:56) : Lifts, in and out entire song.
- Maroon 5 – Animals (3:51) : Sprints. 20 sec at 1:02; 40 sec at 2:03 and 40 sec at 3:06.
- Adele – Hello (4:55) : Stretching and cool down
Hi everyone! It’s been a while since my last post, but I haven’t forgotten about you! I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I transitioned into subbing classes rather than being on the regular schedule so I don’t create new playlists too often. This one was a doozy. Lots of very different, and fun music though, enjoy! (I’ll publish an update with the spotify link later today)
- Avicii – The Days (4:38) : warm up, stretching
- Steve Miller Band – Take the Monday and Run (2:52) : quick hills
- Calvin Harris – Summer (3:43) : sprints. 3, 30-sec sprints at 0:49, 2:04, and 3:04
- Mumford & Sons – I Will Wait (4:37) : quick flat road, finish with a surge uphill
- CCR – Fortunate Son (2:18) : quick downhill recovery. speed up at the finish.
- Katy Perry – Hot N Cold (3:40) : sprints. 30-sec sprints at 0:33 and 1:38; 45-sec sprint at 2:48
- Mark Ronson – Uptown Fund (4:30) : lifts in and out of saddle
- Arno Cast & Norman Doray – Strong (5:54) : I’m going to call this one a free for all. I built resistance throughout and wove in lifts when the pace of the song lightened up a bit. Have fun with this one.
- Dr. Hook – Cover of the Rolling Stone (2:52) : Quick pace, recovery.
- Givers – Up Up Up (4:34) : Climbing, fun quick pace.
- Maroon 5 – Lucky Strike (3:05) : lifts
- Four Tops – Reach Out I’ll Be There (3:18) : cool down, stretching
Hi everyone! Hope y’all have had a great start to 2015, and if you’re an instructor, I’m sure you’re in the midst of the busy “resolution season!” While gyms are a little more crowded than normal, it is fun encouraging new faces and cheering people on toward their goals.
I have a new playlist for you — based on feedback from my class this morning, I think it’s a good one. A lot of heavy climbing, with a couple of flat road sprints/surges mixes in. Here is the spotify link, enjoy! cyle tunes 1.12.15
- hogni – bow down (2:41) : warm up, stretching
- florence + the machine – dog days are over (4:12) : i haven’t played this one in a while, but a couple of easy hills to get things started
- guns n’ roses – sweet child o’ mine (5:56) : this is the beginning of over 8 minutes of climbing. here is the first half. i started with one solid peak to the top over the course of this song, four increases to the top.
- 3OH!3 – back to life (3:46) : finishing up the climb here. slight downhill and then a steep increase at the end
- wolfmother – woman (2:56) : quick flat road here to recover from the climbing, approx 70% of max resistance, quick pace
- katy perry – this is how we do (3:24) : I can’t help it, this is one of my favorite songs and I continue to add to my playlists. time for some lifts in and out of the saddle
- sia – chandelier (3:36) : surges in the saddle
- avicii – the days (4:38) : time for our second set of hills. first peak over the course of this song.
- coldplay – a sky full of stars (4:28) : second peak, this is it for the heavy hills!
- mark ronson/bruno mars – uptown funk (4:31) : lifts in and out of the saddle
- calvin harris – feel so close (3:26) : surges in the saddle
- ben howard – keep your head up (4:25) : cool down / stretching
Hi everyone – I have a new playlist for you! I mentioned this in my last post, but I’m only teaching once a month– which is actually motivation for me to create a new playlist each time I teach. I am thinking about expanding the site a bit and posting more frequently- is there anything else that would be helpful or would you just like to see playslists?
This one is pretty random in terms of content, but a good mix of climbing/flat road/ sprints. Enjoy! Here is the spotify link: cycle tunes 12.13.14
- earth, wind & fire – september (3:35) : warm up/stretch
- zz top – sharp dressed man (4:13) : rolling hills to get everyone warmed up
- lynyrd skynyrd – gimme three steps (4:30) : you can do pretty much anything here – I am going with some quick surges at approx. 60-70% of max resistance, but you could also throw in a straight climb, lifts in and out of the saddle- whatever you’re feeling!
- citizen cope – bullet and a target (3:49) : i have to admit, i am throwing this one in for myself- i love this song. i take a steady, steep climb on this tune.
- vance joy – riptide (3:24) : this is a great one for downhill run.
- benny benassi – control (3:29) : again, this is another personal favorite. sprints on this one.
- scissor sisters – only the horses (3:43) : quick pace, lifts in and out of the saddle.
- crazy town – butterfly (3:37) : same as earlier in the ride, surges at approx 60-70% max resistance.
- angels and airwaves – the adventure (5:13) : this is the longest push of the day. this song starts off slow, but we’re on to the second, steady climb of the day.
- k’naan – wavin’ flag (3:33) : steady, quick pace. flat road.
- katy perry – this is how we do (3:24) : final push of the day, lifts in and out of the saddle.
- alabama shakes – hold on (3:46) : cool down/stretch
I had no idea it had been 9 MONTHS since I last posted a playlist until I opened up wordpress for this new post. so sorry for the lag everyone – I gave up my weekly class a little over a month ago and have just been subbing at the YWCA on an as-needed basis, typically on Saturdays. I was super inspired last week by new music and had to create a new playlist for this weekend’s class. Here is the spotify link, hope you enjoy! cycle tunes 10.4.14
- tears for fears – everybody wants to rule the world (4:12) : warm up, stretching
- rolling stones – brown sugar (3:49) : this continues to be one of my favorite spin songs for getting the ride started. getting everyone warmed up with a few surges up our first climb. not super heavy, but just enough to get everyone warm.
- coldplay – sky full of stars (4:29) : more of a flat road here, but surges of speed in the saddle with the beat. love this song!
- fleetwood mac – go your own way (3:44) : starting our first major climb of the day, this song gets you through the first half. three increases to approx 80% of your max resistance.
- whitesnake – here i go again (3:54) : this one starts off slow – you’re at the top of the climb here. take it out of the saddle, add one final increase. drop it in the saddle, hold that gear. back out of the saddle. lower gear, and finish out the climb.
- john legend – all of me remix (4:12) : resistance at approx 70-75% of your max. lifts in and out of the saddle. quick pace.
- the cars – just what i needed (3:45) : recovery. back to about 60% of your max resistance, two 60 second endurance pushes in the saddle. not sprinting here, but focused on holding that running pace for a longer period of time.
- fitz and the tantrums – the walker (3:53) : steady, easy climb. four increases to the top.
- matt and kim – daylist (2:51) : one, 60 second endurance push in the saddle.
- ram jam – black betty (3:56) : final climb, surges to the top. try to keep the gear heavy, this is the last one!
- la roux – bulletproof (3:26) : lifts in and out of the saddle.
- peter bradley adams – the longer I run (4:11) : cool down, stretching