hi everyone– i apologize for the huge lag time between posts. please forgive me, i hope to be back to my normal schedule (and FINALLY get some of those video questions answered!).
i have always enjoyed interval training, and was pumped to finally incorporate some tabata training into my ride. a little about tabata training: tabata was founded in japan by izumi tabata. he conducted tests on two groups of athletes; comparing moderate high intensity with high intensity interval training (HIIT).
the results were that the athletes training in high intensity interval training improved their aerobic systems as well as their anaerobic system. the athletes who did the moderate high intensity training only improved their aerobic system and had little to no increase in their anaerobic system. very cool!
we will definitely see more tabata work in the future, enjoy this first ride:
- calvin harris – feel so close (3:27) : stretch / warm up.
- k’naan – the sound of my breaking heart (3:50) and macklemore & ryan lewis – can’t hold us (4:19) : climbing. three increases to peak resistance, drop down to second resistance and then ride out at high speed.
- kelly clarkson – get up (3:47) : lifts in and out of saddle. any dallas cowboys fans out there? this is their anthem!
- florence and the machine – shake it out (4:38) & la roux – bulletproof (3:43) : climbing. three increases to peak, drop down slightly, up to peak, and then dropping back slightly for quick finish.
- ellie goulding – anything could happen (4:46) : this is a crowd favorite. lifts.
- needtobreathe – let us love (3:43) : recovery before tabata time. i incorporated a one minute, 85-90 rpm at uncomfortable gear to prevent getting too comfortable. chance to explain the tabata training.
- m.y.c. – rock! (5:38) : tabata time. 20 sec on, 10 sec off. repeat 7 times. (total of 8 surges). gear here should be heavier than normal sprint.
- olly murs – troublemaker (3:07) : recovery! well earned by this point. finished with a final, one minute push in the saddle.
- parachute – white dress (3:36) : cool down / recovery.