Hi everyone! Hope y’all have had a great start to 2015, and if you’re an instructor, I’m sure you’re in the midst of the busy “resolution season!” While gyms are a little more crowded than normal, it is fun encouraging new faces and cheering people on toward their goals.
I have a new playlist for you — based on feedback from my class this morning, I think it’s a good one. A lot of heavy climbing, with a couple of flat road sprints/surges mixes in. Here is the spotify link, enjoy! cyle tunes 1.12.15
- hogni – bow down (2:41) : warm up, stretching
- florence + the machine – dog days are over (4:12) : i haven’t played this one in a while, but a couple of easy hills to get things started
- guns n’ roses – sweet child o’ mine (5:56) : this is the beginning of over 8 minutes of climbing. here is the first half. i started with one solid peak to the top over the course of this song, four increases to the top.
- 3OH!3 – back to life (3:46) : finishing up the climb here. slight downhill and then a steep increase at the end
- wolfmother – woman (2:56) : quick flat road here to recover from the climbing, approx 70% of max resistance, quick pace
- katy perry – this is how we do (3:24) : I can’t help it, this is one of my favorite songs and I continue to add to my playlists. time for some lifts in and out of the saddle
- sia – chandelier (3:36) : surges in the saddle
- avicii – the days (4:38) : time for our second set of hills. first peak over the course of this song.
- coldplay – a sky full of stars (4:28) : second peak, this is it for the heavy hills!
- mark ronson/bruno mars – uptown funk (4:31) : lifts in and out of the saddle
- calvin harris – feel so close (3:26) : surges in the saddle
- ben howard – keep your head up (4:25) : cool down / stretching
Hi everyone – I have a new playlist for you! I mentioned this in my last post, but I’m only teaching once a month– which is actually motivation for me to create a new playlist each time I teach. I am thinking about expanding the site a bit and posting more frequently- is there anything else that would be helpful or would you just like to see playslists?
This one is pretty random in terms of content, but a good mix of climbing/flat road/ sprints. Enjoy! Here is the spotify link: cycle tunes 12.13.14
- earth, wind & fire – september (3:35) : warm up/stretch
- zz top – sharp dressed man (4:13) : rolling hills to get everyone warmed up
- lynyrd skynyrd – gimme three steps (4:30) : you can do pretty much anything here – I am going with some quick surges at approx. 60-70% of max resistance, but you could also throw in a straight climb, lifts in and out of the saddle- whatever you’re feeling!
- citizen cope – bullet and a target (3:49) : i have to admit, i am throwing this one in for myself- i love this song. i take a steady, steep climb on this tune.
- vance joy – riptide (3:24) : this is a great one for downhill run.
- benny benassi – control (3:29) : again, this is another personal favorite. sprints on this one.
- scissor sisters – only the horses (3:43) : quick pace, lifts in and out of the saddle.
- crazy town – butterfly (3:37) : same as earlier in the ride, surges at approx 60-70% max resistance.
- angels and airwaves – the adventure (5:13) : this is the longest push of the day. this song starts off slow, but we’re on to the second, steady climb of the day.
- k’naan – wavin’ flag (3:33) : steady, quick pace. flat road.
- katy perry – this is how we do (3:24) : final push of the day, lifts in and out of the saddle.
- alabama shakes – hold on (3:46) : cool down/stretch
hi everyone! new playlist this week. sort of a hodge-podge of tunes… but i thought it worked well. here is the spotify link, enjoy! cycle tunes 1.31.13
- bruno mars – marry you (3:50) : stretch / warm up. realized i should have saved this one for the valentine’s day ride, but it’s a fun one to use for warmup.
- ciara ft. usher – turn it up (3:09) : usher is not my favorite, but i think it’s a great tune for seated surges on the chorus.
- swedish house mafia – don’t you worry child (3:33) & chris wallace – remember when (push rewind) (3:14) : quick climbs here. two peaks, surge on each increase.
- christina aguilera – your body (4:00) : sprints.
- r3hab & zroq – skydrop (radio edit) (3:04) : lifts in and out of the saddle. i know you want a break, but just wait for it!
- chris willis – put your hands up (3:30) : surges.
- zz top – legs (3:36) & kings of leon (radioactive – remix ft. west angeles mass choir) (3:29) : final climb, two peaks, heavy.
- jay sean – boom boom (3:17) : final set of lifts.
- pit bull – don’t stop the party (3:26) : standing climb, seated surge on chorus.
- tyrone wells – and the birds sing (3:42) : cool down.
hi everyone! hope you are enjoying an extended MLK weekend. this playlist may be one of my favorites… a lot of endurance work (which relies on the class really pushing themselves on the long stretches of uncomfortable resistance), but a few climbs to break up the ride. here is the spotify link, enjoy! cycle tunes 1.17.13
- the script, will.i.am – hall of fame (3:23) : really great warm up song.
- calvin harris, florence welch – sweet nothing (3:33) : quick seated surges on the chorus.
- liquid soul – adrenaline (7:51) : here comes the endurance work. almost 8 minutes in the saddle. uncomfortable resistance, but not a direct uphill climb. can mix it up with one minute out of the saddle, one minute 5 rpm surge, etc.
- icona pop – i love it (2:36) : ok, i really like the pop beat of this song, but there are a few unfavorable words that i had to manually edit. but it’s so fun! time for lifts in and out of the saddle.
- chris brown – don’t wake me up (3:43) : surges/sprints.
- golden earring – radar love (3:44) : ok, this song was recorded before my dad was out of high school (love that it’s sandwiched between chris brown and jessie j). but it’s really great for climbing.
- jessie j – domino (3:52) : surges and/or lifts.
- morgan page – body work (4:00) : another solid endurance push. can also move into a slight uphill climb toward the end.
- u2 – where the streets have no name (4:47) : feel free to continue with some endurance work (i skipped ahead for the first 1 min or so of song to keep momentum) or move into climbing.
- ke$ha – die young (3:32) : can’t believe i used ke$ha, but i did. sprints to finish the ride.
- the head and the heart – lost in my mind (4:19) : stretch / cool down.
happy new year everyone! hope this ride helps you to jump start any new year’s resolutions you may have made. these are some of my favorites songs, not necessarily from 2012, but a great way to start the year. enjoy! here is the spotify link: cycle tunes 1.10.13
- rhianna – diamonds (3:45) : rhianna may not be the best role model, but i really like this song. use this opportunity to stretch/warm up.
- busta rhymes – c’mon (catch em by surprise) (3:33) : 20 sec surges, adding 5 rpm at a time.
- martin solveig – hello (3:13) : quick climb, in and out of saddle. surges on each increase.
- lecrae – walking on water (3:41) : back up hill, a little heavier this time.
- katy perry – e.t. (benny benassi radio edit) (3:21) : my favorite version of this song. time for sprints.
- walk the moon – anna sun (5:22) : my favorite spin song ever (well, at least for now). get in the zone for some quick endurance work.
- enur – calabria 2008 (3:55) : lifts.
- benny benassi – control (3:30) : endurance work, surges for 1 min at a time.
- justin beiber ft. nicki minaj – beauty and a beat (3:48) : lifts.
- madonna – celebration (benny benassi remix) (3:59) : quick climb.
- chris brown & benny benassi – beautiful people (3:46) : surges.
- alabama shakes – i found you (3:00) : cool down / stretch.
- the modern post – before the throne (3:28) : really beautiful song, continue cool down.
this week i realized i have been focusing on climbing drills for what seems like months. while it has been fun to see how my new weight lifting routine has made a positive impact on my climbing work in spin class, i have completely ignored endurance and sprint work. tonight’s class was almost entirely focused on speed, and it was a great kick in the pants! this is a fun playlist that i’ll definitely be jamming out to this summer.
- michael jackson – P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) (3:59) : stretch, warm up
- calvin harris – feel so close (radio mix) (3:28) : 1 min: PRE 7 (95 rpm); 1 min: PRE 8 (95 rpm); 1 min: PRE 7 (95 rpm); final 0:30: recovery
- david guetta feat. nicki minaj – turn me on (3:19) : here is where i started to realize i was in trouble. sprints. 0:52 – 1:22 – 30 sec sprint. 30 sec recovery. 2:02 – 2:32 – 30 sec sprint. 30 sec recovery. 3:02 – 3:19 – 20 sec sprint.
- the shins – simple song (4:15) : there are two climbs on this ride and this is the first one. not a huge peak, in theme of ride, focused on speed. starting at slight incline, add one or two gears every 30 seconds. about two minutes in, bring out of saddle for 1 minute. drop back in saddle, hold gear for 30 seconds. finish in recovery for final 45 seconds.
- timbaland ft. miley cyrus – we belong to the music (4:27) : back to endurance work. 1 min: PRE 7/8 (95 rpm). 1 min: PRE 8 (95 rpm). 45 sec break. 1 min PRE 7/8 (95 rpm). 1 min PRE 8 (95 rpm).
- fatboy slim – the rockafeller skank (3:57) : i always forget how extremely annoying this song gets about halfway through. i need to stop adding to playlists, but the beat for the first half is pretty decent. i just started back at the beginning when it got really bad. back to sprint work. 30 sec recovery. 30 sec sprint. 30 sec recovery. 45 sec sprint. 45 sec recovery. 30 sec sprint. 30 sec recovery.
- hot chelle rae – i like it like that (3:08) : i am embarrassed by how much i like this song. lifts in and out of the saddle during chorus. 4 count in / 4 count out. recovery in between.
- the black keys – gold on the ceiling (3:44) : this is the second hill. basically same as the first. start at slight incline, adding gear every 30 seconds. becomes a moderate hill and then take out of saddle. back down for about 45 seconds and then final 30-45 seconds are recovery.
- ellie goulding – lights (3:31) : final set of endurance drills. 1 min PRE 7 (90 rpm – you will naturally be tired at this point and hitting a slower speed, but this is still challenging and still a fast pace). 1 min PRE 8 (90 rpm). 30 sec break. 1 min PRE 7 (90rpm). 1 min PRE 8 (90 rpm).
- september – party in my head (4:17) : final sprint drills. 0:23 – 0:37 – don’t think this is going to be an easy finish. 15 sec sprint. 30 sec break. 1:06 – 1:36: 30 sec sprint. 30 sec break. 2:06 – 2:36: 30 sprint. 45 sec break. 3:18 – 4:03: 45 sec sprint.
- pitbull – back in time (men in black III soundtrack) (3:26) : not sure if i’ll actually see men in black III, but this is a fun song. can anyone name the movie soundtrack featured in the mashup? finishing with lifts in and out of the saddle. minute at quick speed. minute of 4 count in/out. 45 sec break. finishing with 4 count in/out.
- keane – stop for a minute (4:07) : cool down, stretch.
let me know what you think and please post any music suggestions you may have!!! i love feedback.