this week i realized i have been focusing on climbing drills for what seems like months. while it has been fun to see how my new weight lifting routine has made a positive impact on my climbing work in spin class, i have completely ignored endurance and sprint work. tonight’s class was almost entirely focused on speed, and it was a great kick in the pants! this is a fun playlist that i’ll definitely be jamming out to this summer.
- michael jackson – P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) (3:59) : stretch, warm up
- calvin harris – feel so close (radio mix) (3:28) : 1 min: PRE 7 (95 rpm); 1 min: PRE 8 (95 rpm); 1 min: PRE 7 (95 rpm); final 0:30: recovery
- david guetta feat. nicki minaj – turn me on (3:19) : here is where i started to realize i was in trouble. sprints. 0:52 – 1:22 – 30 sec sprint. 30 sec recovery. 2:02 – 2:32 – 30 sec sprint. 30 sec recovery. 3:02 – 3:19 – 20 sec sprint.
- the shins – simple song (4:15) : there are two climbs on this ride and this is the first one. not a huge peak, in theme of ride, focused on speed. starting at slight incline, add one or two gears every 30 seconds. about two minutes in, bring out of saddle for 1 minute. drop back in saddle, hold gear for 30 seconds. finish in recovery for final 45 seconds.
- timbaland ft. miley cyrus – we belong to the music (4:27) : back to endurance work. 1 min: PRE 7/8 (95 rpm). 1 min: PRE 8 (95 rpm). 45 sec break. 1 min PRE 7/8 (95 rpm). 1 min PRE 8 (95 rpm).
- fatboy slim – the rockafeller skank (3:57) : i always forget how extremely annoying this song gets about halfway through. i need to stop adding to playlists, but the beat for the first half is pretty decent. i just started back at the beginning when it got really bad. back to sprint work. 30 sec recovery. 30 sec sprint. 30 sec recovery. 45 sec sprint. 45 sec recovery. 30 sec sprint. 30 sec recovery.
- hot chelle rae – i like it like that (3:08) : i am embarrassed by how much i like this song. lifts in and out of the saddle during chorus. 4 count in / 4 count out. recovery in between.
- the black keys – gold on the ceiling (3:44) : this is the second hill. basically same as the first. start at slight incline, adding gear every 30 seconds. becomes a moderate hill and then take out of saddle. back down for about 45 seconds and then final 30-45 seconds are recovery.
- ellie goulding – lights (3:31) : final set of endurance drills. 1 min PRE 7 (90 rpm – you will naturally be tired at this point and hitting a slower speed, but this is still challenging and still a fast pace). 1 min PRE 8 (90 rpm). 30 sec break. 1 min PRE 7 (90rpm). 1 min PRE 8 (90 rpm).
- september – party in my head (4:17) : final sprint drills. 0:23 – 0:37 – don’t think this is going to be an easy finish. 15 sec sprint. 30 sec break. 1:06 – 1:36: 30 sec sprint. 30 sec break. 2:06 – 2:36: 30 sprint. 45 sec break. 3:18 – 4:03: 45 sec sprint.
- pitbull – back in time (men in black III soundtrack) (3:26) : not sure if i’ll actually see men in black III, but this is a fun song. can anyone name the movie soundtrack featured in the mashup? finishing with lifts in and out of the saddle. minute at quick speed. minute of 4 count in/out. 45 sec break. finishing with 4 count in/out.
- keane – stop for a minute (4:07) : cool down, stretch.
let me know what you think and please post any music suggestions you may have!!! i love feedback.