Hi everyone! Hope y’all have had a great start to 2015, and if you’re an instructor, I’m sure you’re in the midst of the busy “resolution season!” While gyms are a little more crowded than normal, it is fun encouraging new faces and cheering people on toward their goals.
I have a new playlist for you — based on feedback from my class this morning, I think it’s a good one. A lot of heavy climbing, with a couple of flat road sprints/surges mixes in. Here is the spotify link, enjoy! cyle tunes 1.12.15
- hogni – bow down (2:41) : warm up, stretching
- florence + the machine – dog days are over (4:12) : i haven’t played this one in a while, but a couple of easy hills to get things started
- guns n’ roses – sweet child o’ mine (5:56) : this is the beginning of over 8 minutes of climbing. here is the first half. i started with one solid peak to the top over the course of this song, four increases to the top.
- 3OH!3 – back to life (3:46) : finishing up the climb here. slight downhill and then a steep increase at the end
- wolfmother – woman (2:56) : quick flat road here to recover from the climbing, approx 70% of max resistance, quick pace
- katy perry – this is how we do (3:24) : I can’t help it, this is one of my favorite songs and I continue to add to my playlists. time for some lifts in and out of the saddle
- sia – chandelier (3:36) : surges in the saddle
- avicii – the days (4:38) : time for our second set of hills. first peak over the course of this song.
- coldplay – a sky full of stars (4:28) : second peak, this is it for the heavy hills!
- mark ronson/bruno mars – uptown funk (4:31) : lifts in and out of the saddle
- calvin harris – feel so close (3:26) : surges in the saddle
- ben howard – keep your head up (4:25) : cool down / stretching
Hi everyone – I have a new playlist for you! I mentioned this in my last post, but I’m only teaching once a month– which is actually motivation for me to create a new playlist each time I teach. I am thinking about expanding the site a bit and posting more frequently- is there anything else that would be helpful or would you just like to see playslists?
This one is pretty random in terms of content, but a good mix of climbing/flat road/ sprints. Enjoy! Here is the spotify link: cycle tunes 12.13.14
- earth, wind & fire – september (3:35) : warm up/stretch
- zz top – sharp dressed man (4:13) : rolling hills to get everyone warmed up
- lynyrd skynyrd – gimme three steps (4:30) : you can do pretty much anything here – I am going with some quick surges at approx. 60-70% of max resistance, but you could also throw in a straight climb, lifts in and out of the saddle- whatever you’re feeling!
- citizen cope – bullet and a target (3:49) : i have to admit, i am throwing this one in for myself- i love this song. i take a steady, steep climb on this tune.
- vance joy – riptide (3:24) : this is a great one for downhill run.
- benny benassi – control (3:29) : again, this is another personal favorite. sprints on this one.
- scissor sisters – only the horses (3:43) : quick pace, lifts in and out of the saddle.
- crazy town – butterfly (3:37) : same as earlier in the ride, surges at approx 60-70% max resistance.
- angels and airwaves – the adventure (5:13) : this is the longest push of the day. this song starts off slow, but we’re on to the second, steady climb of the day.
- k’naan – wavin’ flag (3:33) : steady, quick pace. flat road.
- katy perry – this is how we do (3:24) : final push of the day, lifts in and out of the saddle.
- alabama shakes – hold on (3:46) : cool down/stretch
hi everyone– i apologize for the huge lag time between posts. please forgive me, i hope to be back to my normal schedule (and FINALLY get some of those video questions answered!).
i have always enjoyed interval training, and was pumped to finally incorporate some tabata training into my ride. a little about tabata training: tabata was founded in japan by izumi tabata. he conducted tests on two groups of athletes; comparing moderate high intensity with high intensity interval training (HIIT).
the results were that the athletes training in high intensity interval training improved their aerobic systems as well as their anaerobic system. the athletes who did the moderate high intensity training only improved their aerobic system and had little to no increase in their anaerobic system. very cool!
we will definitely see more tabata work in the future, enjoy this first ride:
- calvin harris – feel so close (3:27) : stretch / warm up.
- k’naan – the sound of my breaking heart (3:50) and macklemore & ryan lewis – can’t hold us (4:19) : climbing. three increases to peak resistance, drop down to second resistance and then ride out at high speed.
- kelly clarkson – get up (3:47) : lifts in and out of saddle. any dallas cowboys fans out there? this is their anthem!
- florence and the machine – shake it out (4:38) & la roux – bulletproof (3:43) : climbing. three increases to peak, drop down slightly, up to peak, and then dropping back slightly for quick finish.
- ellie goulding – anything could happen (4:46) : this is a crowd favorite. lifts.
- needtobreathe – let us love (3:43) : recovery before tabata time. i incorporated a one minute, 85-90 rpm at uncomfortable gear to prevent getting too comfortable. chance to explain the tabata training.
- m.y.c. – rock! (5:38) : tabata time. 20 sec on, 10 sec off. repeat 7 times. (total of 8 surges). gear here should be heavier than normal sprint.
- olly murs – troublemaker (3:07) : recovery! well earned by this point. finished with a final, one minute push in the saddle.
- parachute – white dress (3:36) : cool down / recovery.
hi everyone! new playlist this week. sort of a hodge-podge of tunes… but i thought it worked well. here is the spotify link, enjoy! cycle tunes 1.31.13
- bruno mars – marry you (3:50) : stretch / warm up. realized i should have saved this one for the valentine’s day ride, but it’s a fun one to use for warmup.
- ciara ft. usher – turn it up (3:09) : usher is not my favorite, but i think it’s a great tune for seated surges on the chorus.
- swedish house mafia – don’t you worry child (3:33) & chris wallace – remember when (push rewind) (3:14) : quick climbs here. two peaks, surge on each increase.
- christina aguilera – your body (4:00) : sprints.
- r3hab & zroq – skydrop (radio edit) (3:04) : lifts in and out of the saddle. i know you want a break, but just wait for it!
- chris willis – put your hands up (3:30) : surges.
- zz top – legs (3:36) & kings of leon (radioactive – remix ft. west angeles mass choir) (3:29) : final climb, two peaks, heavy.
- jay sean – boom boom (3:17) : final set of lifts.
- pit bull – don’t stop the party (3:26) : standing climb, seated surge on chorus.
- tyrone wells – and the birds sing (3:42) : cool down.
happy new year everyone! hope this ride helps you to jump start any new year’s resolutions you may have made. these are some of my favorites songs, not necessarily from 2012, but a great way to start the year. enjoy! here is the spotify link: cycle tunes 1.10.13
- rhianna – diamonds (3:45) : rhianna may not be the best role model, but i really like this song. use this opportunity to stretch/warm up.
- busta rhymes – c’mon (catch em by surprise) (3:33) : 20 sec surges, adding 5 rpm at a time.
- martin solveig – hello (3:13) : quick climb, in and out of saddle. surges on each increase.
- lecrae – walking on water (3:41) : back up hill, a little heavier this time.
- katy perry – e.t. (benny benassi radio edit) (3:21) : my favorite version of this song. time for sprints.
- walk the moon – anna sun (5:22) : my favorite spin song ever (well, at least for now). get in the zone for some quick endurance work.
- enur – calabria 2008 (3:55) : lifts.
- benny benassi – control (3:30) : endurance work, surges for 1 min at a time.
- justin beiber ft. nicki minaj – beauty and a beat (3:48) : lifts.
- madonna – celebration (benny benassi remix) (3:59) : quick climb.
- chris brown & benny benassi – beautiful people (3:46) : surges.
- alabama shakes – i found you (3:00) : cool down / stretch.
- the modern post – before the throne (3:28) : really beautiful song, continue cool down.