Hi everyone! Hope y’all have had a great start to 2015, and if you’re an instructor, I’m sure you’re in the midst of the busy “resolution season!” While gyms are a little more crowded than normal, it is fun encouraging new faces and cheering people on toward their goals.
I have a new playlist for you — based on feedback from my class this morning, I think it’s a good one. A lot of heavy climbing, with a couple of flat road sprints/surges mixes in. Here is the spotify link, enjoy! cyle tunes 1.12.15
- hogni – bow down (2:41) : warm up, stretching
- florence + the machine – dog days are over (4:12) : i haven’t played this one in a while, but a couple of easy hills to get things started
- guns n’ roses – sweet child o’ mine (5:56) : this is the beginning of over 8 minutes of climbing. here is the first half. i started with one solid peak to the top over the course of this song, four increases to the top.
- 3OH!3 – back to life (3:46) : finishing up the climb here. slight downhill and then a steep increase at the end
- wolfmother – woman (2:56) : quick flat road here to recover from the climbing, approx 70% of max resistance, quick pace
- katy perry – this is how we do (3:24) : I can’t help it, this is one of my favorite songs and I continue to add to my playlists. time for some lifts in and out of the saddle
- sia – chandelier (3:36) : surges in the saddle
- avicii – the days (4:38) : time for our second set of hills. first peak over the course of this song.
- coldplay – a sky full of stars (4:28) : second peak, this is it for the heavy hills!
- mark ronson/bruno mars – uptown funk (4:31) : lifts in and out of the saddle
- calvin harris – feel so close (3:26) : surges in the saddle
- ben howard – keep your head up (4:25) : cool down / stretching
Hi everyone – I have a new playlist for you! I mentioned this in my last post, but I’m only teaching once a month– which is actually motivation for me to create a new playlist each time I teach. I am thinking about expanding the site a bit and posting more frequently- is there anything else that would be helpful or would you just like to see playslists?
This one is pretty random in terms of content, but a good mix of climbing/flat road/ sprints. Enjoy! Here is the spotify link: cycle tunes 12.13.14
- earth, wind & fire – september (3:35) : warm up/stretch
- zz top – sharp dressed man (4:13) : rolling hills to get everyone warmed up
- lynyrd skynyrd – gimme three steps (4:30) : you can do pretty much anything here – I am going with some quick surges at approx. 60-70% of max resistance, but you could also throw in a straight climb, lifts in and out of the saddle- whatever you’re feeling!
- citizen cope – bullet and a target (3:49) : i have to admit, i am throwing this one in for myself- i love this song. i take a steady, steep climb on this tune.
- vance joy – riptide (3:24) : this is a great one for downhill run.
- benny benassi – control (3:29) : again, this is another personal favorite. sprints on this one.
- scissor sisters – only the horses (3:43) : quick pace, lifts in and out of the saddle.
- crazy town – butterfly (3:37) : same as earlier in the ride, surges at approx 60-70% max resistance.
- angels and airwaves – the adventure (5:13) : this is the longest push of the day. this song starts off slow, but we’re on to the second, steady climb of the day.
- k’naan – wavin’ flag (3:33) : steady, quick pace. flat road.
- katy perry – this is how we do (3:24) : final push of the day, lifts in and out of the saddle.
- alabama shakes – hold on (3:46) : cool down/stretch
I had no idea it had been 9 MONTHS since I last posted a playlist until I opened up wordpress for this new post. so sorry for the lag everyone – I gave up my weekly class a little over a month ago and have just been subbing at the YWCA on an as-needed basis, typically on Saturdays. I was super inspired last week by new music and had to create a new playlist for this weekend’s class. Here is the spotify link, hope you enjoy! cycle tunes 10.4.14
- tears for fears – everybody wants to rule the world (4:12) : warm up, stretching
- rolling stones – brown sugar (3:49) : this continues to be one of my favorite spin songs for getting the ride started. getting everyone warmed up with a few surges up our first climb. not super heavy, but just enough to get everyone warm.
- coldplay – sky full of stars (4:29) : more of a flat road here, but surges of speed in the saddle with the beat. love this song!
- fleetwood mac – go your own way (3:44) : starting our first major climb of the day, this song gets you through the first half. three increases to approx 80% of your max resistance.
- whitesnake – here i go again (3:54) : this one starts off slow – you’re at the top of the climb here. take it out of the saddle, add one final increase. drop it in the saddle, hold that gear. back out of the saddle. lower gear, and finish out the climb.
- john legend – all of me remix (4:12) : resistance at approx 70-75% of your max. lifts in and out of the saddle. quick pace.
- the cars – just what i needed (3:45) : recovery. back to about 60% of your max resistance, two 60 second endurance pushes in the saddle. not sprinting here, but focused on holding that running pace for a longer period of time.
- fitz and the tantrums – the walker (3:53) : steady, easy climb. four increases to the top.
- matt and kim – daylist (2:51) : one, 60 second endurance push in the saddle.
- ram jam – black betty (3:56) : final climb, surges to the top. try to keep the gear heavy, this is the last one!
- la roux – bulletproof (3:26) : lifts in and out of the saddle.
- peter bradley adams – the longer I run (4:11) : cool down, stretching
Happy (almost) New Year! Couldn’t let 2013 end without one final blog post. I really loved this ride, but just to warn you– it’s 45 minutes of climbing. I tried to keep it interesting with some lifts in and out of the saddle, short sprints uphill and some longer, in the saddle climbing, but regardless, no flat roads on this ride.
Each climb is rated by a PE level (Perceived Exertion). This makes it a little easier to gauge the difficulty of each hill. A PE 10 would be an absolute killer hill, either pushing yourself on speed at the peak of the climb, or a really heavy climb. As a reminder, no hill should be so heavy that you can’t maintain at least a 60 rpm pace. Enjoy! Here is the spotify link: climbing playlist
- duffy – mercy (3:39) : warm-up/stretching
- pitbull/t-pain – hey baby (3:56) : seated, standing climb. seated for one min, standing for one minute. increase tension. seated for one minute, increase gear. finish out of the saddle. PE 4-5
- the clash – train in vain (3:09) : steady climb, beginning in the saddle. steadily increase gear, reaching PE 5.
- metallica – no leaf clover (5:44) : okay, i know metallica is a little out of the ordinary, but i really like this version. starting in the saddle, speeding up on each pickup in the chorus. this one starts out slow, so start moderately heavy. PE 5-7.
- needtobreathe – let us love (3:42) : i know i promised no flat road, but this is a little break in the climbing. keeping it active, around a PE 5-6, but workout is not from climbing. moderate resistance, keep the pace quick.
- the white stripes – seven army nation (3:51) : seated climb, increase speed during chorus. there are three surges, 20-30 sec each. add tension after each surge. PE 7-8 (this is as heavy as we get).
- katy perry – birthday (3:35) : yes, katy perry talks about her birthday suit on this one. i apologize in advance. lifts in and out of the saddle. keep it quick, 10 sec in the saddle/10 seconds out. repeat throughout song. enough resistance to keep your body stable out of the saddle.
- the rolling stones – gimme shelter (4:32) : slightly uncomfortable, seated for one minute, standing for one minute. maintain cadence. PE 7.
- police – every little thing she does is magic (4:20) : seated/standing, surging in speed with every pickup in chorus. PE 6-8
- the killers – human (4:05) : seated in the saddle, standing push out of the saddle. PE 5-6
- tim mcgraw – just to see you smile (3:35) : cool down, stretch
another playlist to start your thanskgiving weekend. sprinting, climbing and finishing with some tabata work. enjoy! here is the spotify link : cycle tunes 11.4.13
- miley cyrus – wrecking ball (3:43) : everyone loves to hate on miley, but this is a good one to start stretching / warm up work
- u2 – mysterious ways (4:03) : couple of easy hills to get us started
- katy perry – walking on air (3:43) : i’m loving the new katy perry cd. lifts in and out of the saddle
- rudimental – not giving in (4:00) : i like to keep the resistance from the lifts and then move uphill from there. this is our first heavy peak.
- maroon 5 – harder to breathe (4:08) : sprints
- bastille – pompeii (3:34) : steady, quick flat road
- bonnie tyler – holding out for a hero (5:49) : continuing the flat road for a bit, i usually cut this one a little short
- m.y.c. – rock (5:38) : hope you are ready for tabata time! as a reminder – all out,80% exertion for 20 seconds, ten second break. repeat 7 times. total of 8 rounds. this should tire you out, don’t hold back on those 20 second surges.
- raphael saadiq – heart attack (3:04) : little bit of recovery, i usually cut a little short so we have a strong finish
- pitbull – timber (3:24) : finishing with quick lifts in and out of the saddle
- drake – hold on (3:48) : cool down / recovery
hope to keep these coming on a more regular basis as we are officially in holiday season. so hard to believe thanksgiving is right around the corner. here is the spotify link : Cycle tunes 10.7.13 enjoy! brooke fraser – coachella (3:32) : one of my favorite singers/songs. warm up / stretch van halen – […]
hi friends – one of my oldest, favorite rides. hope you enjoy! here is the spotify link : cycle tunes 7.15.13
- dazz band – let it whip (4:29) : warm up / stretch
- aerosmith – sweet emotion (3:15) : let’s get going – steady little uphill climb, surges to get us there quickly.
- the rolling stones – paint it black (3:44) : surges on the pick ups in song – each about 15 sec long, approx 10-15 sec break in between. this is a good one!
- prince – kiss (3:46) : steady climb uphill
- kelis – acapella (4:08) : remember the girl who sang “my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard”? well, here she is bringing the heat, with sprints. each approx 35-45 sec on the chorus. have fun.
- lady gaga – poker face (3:57) : climb uphill, surges on the chorus
- kevin rudolf – let it rock (3:51) : lifts, in and out of the saddle
- u2 – vertigo (3:14) : i would love a flat-road right now, but it’s not happening. steady climb uphill
- needtobreathe – let us love (3:42) : quick, out of saddle surges on chorus
- peaches & herb – shake your groove thing (5:46) : i accidentally chose the long version here, i cut short in the middle of class. flat road endurance, a couple of short surges in the saddle (some of out of saddle if our bottoms need a break!)
- p!nk – trouble (3:11) : last one – sprints on chorus
- rolling stones – gimme shelter (4:32) : slow / cool down