Happy (almost) New Year! Couldn’t let 2013 end without one final blog post. I really loved this ride, but just to warn you– it’s 45 minutes of climbing. I tried to keep it interesting with some lifts in and out of the saddle, short sprints uphill and some longer, in the saddle climbing, but regardless, no flat roads on this ride.
Each climb is rated by a PE level (Perceived Exertion). This makes it a little easier to gauge the difficulty of each hill. A PE 10 would be an absolute killer hill, either pushing yourself on speed at the peak of the climb, or a really heavy climb. As a reminder, no hill should be so heavy that you can’t maintain at least a 60 rpm pace. Enjoy! Here is the spotify link: climbing playlist
- duffy – mercy (3:39) : warm-up/stretching
- pitbull/t-pain – hey baby (3:56) : seated, standing climb. seated for one min, standing for one minute. increase tension. seated for one minute, increase gear. finish out of the saddle. PE 4-5
- the clash – train in vain (3:09) : steady climb, beginning in the saddle. steadily increase gear, reaching PE 5.
- metallica – no leaf clover (5:44) : okay, i know metallica is a little out of the ordinary, but i really like this version. starting in the saddle, speeding up on each pickup in the chorus. this one starts out slow, so start moderately heavy. PE 5-7.
- needtobreathe – let us love (3:42) : i know i promised no flat road, but this is a little break in the climbing. keeping it active, around a PE 5-6, but workout is not from climbing. moderate resistance, keep the pace quick.
- the white stripes – seven army nation (3:51) : seated climb, increase speed during chorus. there are three surges, 20-30 sec each. add tension after each surge. PE 7-8 (this is as heavy as we get).
- katy perry – birthday (3:35) : yes, katy perry talks about her birthday suit on this one. i apologize in advance. lifts in and out of the saddle. keep it quick, 10 sec in the saddle/10 seconds out. repeat throughout song. enough resistance to keep your body stable out of the saddle.
- the rolling stones – gimme shelter (4:32) : slightly uncomfortable, seated for one minute, standing for one minute. maintain cadence. PE 7.
- police – every little thing she does is magic (4:20) : seated/standing, surging in speed with every pickup in chorus. PE 6-8
- the killers – human (4:05) : seated in the saddle, standing push out of the saddle. PE 5-6
- tim mcgraw – just to see you smile (3:35) : cool down, stretch
another playlist to start your thanskgiving weekend. sprinting, climbing and finishing with some tabata work. enjoy! here is the spotify link : cycle tunes 11.4.13
- miley cyrus – wrecking ball (3:43) : everyone loves to hate on miley, but this is a good one to start stretching / warm up work
- u2 – mysterious ways (4:03) : couple of easy hills to get us started
- katy perry – walking on air (3:43) : i’m loving the new katy perry cd. lifts in and out of the saddle
- rudimental – not giving in (4:00) : i like to keep the resistance from the lifts and then move uphill from there. this is our first heavy peak.
- maroon 5 – harder to breathe (4:08) : sprints
- bastille – pompeii (3:34) : steady, quick flat road
- bonnie tyler – holding out for a hero (5:49) : continuing the flat road for a bit, i usually cut this one a little short
- m.y.c. – rock (5:38) : hope you are ready for tabata time! as a reminder – all out,80% exertion for 20 seconds, ten second break. repeat 7 times. total of 8 rounds. this should tire you out, don’t hold back on those 20 second surges.
- raphael saadiq – heart attack (3:04) : little bit of recovery, i usually cut a little short so we have a strong finish
- pitbull – timber (3:24) : finishing with quick lifts in and out of the saddle
- drake – hold on (3:48) : cool down / recovery
hope to keep these coming on a more regular basis as we are officially in holiday season. so hard to believe thanksgiving is right around the corner. here is the spotify link : Cycle tunes 10.7.13 enjoy! brooke fraser – coachella (3:32) : one of my favorite singers/songs. warm up / stretch van halen – […]
hi friends – one of my oldest, favorite rides. hope you enjoy! here is the spotify link : cycle tunes 7.15.13
- dazz band – let it whip (4:29) : warm up / stretch
- aerosmith – sweet emotion (3:15) : let’s get going – steady little uphill climb, surges to get us there quickly.
- the rolling stones – paint it black (3:44) : surges on the pick ups in song – each about 15 sec long, approx 10-15 sec break in between. this is a good one!
- prince – kiss (3:46) : steady climb uphill
- kelis – acapella (4:08) : remember the girl who sang “my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard”? well, here she is bringing the heat, with sprints. each approx 35-45 sec on the chorus. have fun.
- lady gaga – poker face (3:57) : climb uphill, surges on the chorus
- kevin rudolf – let it rock (3:51) : lifts, in and out of the saddle
- u2 – vertigo (3:14) : i would love a flat-road right now, but it’s not happening. steady climb uphill
- needtobreathe – let us love (3:42) : quick, out of saddle surges on chorus
- peaches & herb – shake your groove thing (5:46) : i accidentally chose the long version here, i cut short in the middle of class. flat road endurance, a couple of short surges in the saddle (some of out of saddle if our bottoms need a break!)
- p!nk – trouble (3:11) : last one – sprints on chorus
- rolling stones – gimme shelter (4:32) : slow / cool down
hi everyone – we had a really warm, humid cycle class this morning. glad i spared everyone a double tabata day, but don’t think everyone will be so lucky next week. here is a new playlist, and the link to spotify is here: cycle tunes 6.17.13 enjoy!
- needtobreathe – white fences (3:46) : warm up / stretch.
- gnarls barkley – run [i’m a natural disaster] (2:45) : quick set of surges to get everyone started.
- eurythmics – sweet dreams (remix) 5:31: first of two tabata rounds. 20 hard core, heavier resistance than your surges. 10 sec recovery. repeat 7 times (total of 8 rounds for the non-mathematicians).
- kerli – the lucky ones (3:56) : recovery, followed by quick seated flat.
- manfred mann’s earth band – blinded by the light (3:49) : heavy seated climb.
- fergie, q-tip, etc. – a little party never killed nobody (4:01) : heavy, pushing uphill in quick surges. may need some out of the saddle work at this point. p.s. – song title reflects their grammar, not mine.
- till the world ends (remix) : britney spears (5:20) : second tabata round.
- walk the moon – anna sun (5:22) : i’ve said this before – one of my favorite spin songs! quick flat road.
- v v brown – l.o.v.e. (2:58) : heavier load, moving uphill. fun song!
- bruce springsteen – radio nowhere (3:21) : quick surges.
- genesis – that’s all (4:26) : cool down / stretch
wow– two months since my last jollyspins post. please forgive me! life has been a little crazy, but here is a new playlist for you as we head into the summer months. this ride features TWO sets of our tabata work. definitely a strong way to start your weekend. here is the link to the spotify playlist: cycle tunes 5.2.13
- daft punk, pharrell williams – get lucky (4:09) : warm up / stretch.
- parov stelar – the paris swing box (5:22) : i’m trying to mix up my musical genres here. pretty cool song. continue warm up until 0:52, and then move into an out of the saddle climb, followed by in the saddle surge.
- skrillex, the doors – breakn a sweat (5:02) : first tabata set. 20 sec on / 10 sec recovery. a total of 8 rounds.
- the edgar winters group – free ride (3:07) : recovery from tabata, followed by active, 50% intensity flat road.
- alex gaudino – i’m in love (3:37) : lifts, in and out of the saddle.
- icona pop – i love it (2:37) : i really love this song. sadly spotify doesn’t have the radio edit, so watch out on a few not so friendly words on this one. a quick push uphill, with surges on the chorus.
- diddy, dirty money – coming home (3:59) : long climb uphill. three increases to the top, steady pace.
- fatboy slim, mogual – ya mama (push the tempo) (6:07) : second tabata set.
- fitz and the tantrums – don’t gotta work it out (4:09) : recovery from tabata. flat road if needed, but i cut this one short after two minutes.
- nicki minaj – va va voom (3:04) : as is always the case with nicki minaj, go with the edited version. final set of lifts. everyone is pretty wiped out at this point.
- scissor sisters – take your mama (4:32) : cool down / stretch.
hi everyone– i apologize for the huge lag time between posts. please forgive me, i hope to be back to my normal schedule (and FINALLY get some of those video questions answered!).
i have always enjoyed interval training, and was pumped to finally incorporate some tabata training into my ride. a little about tabata training: tabata was founded in japan by izumi tabata. he conducted tests on two groups of athletes; comparing moderate high intensity with high intensity interval training (HIIT).
the results were that the athletes training in high intensity interval training improved their aerobic systems as well as their anaerobic system. the athletes who did the moderate high intensity training only improved their aerobic system and had little to no increase in their anaerobic system. very cool!
we will definitely see more tabata work in the future, enjoy this first ride:
- calvin harris – feel so close (3:27) : stretch / warm up.
- k’naan – the sound of my breaking heart (3:50) and macklemore & ryan lewis – can’t hold us (4:19) : climbing. three increases to peak resistance, drop down to second resistance and then ride out at high speed.
- kelly clarkson – get up (3:47) : lifts in and out of saddle. any dallas cowboys fans out there? this is their anthem!
- florence and the machine – shake it out (4:38) & la roux – bulletproof (3:43) : climbing. three increases to peak, drop down slightly, up to peak, and then dropping back slightly for quick finish.
- ellie goulding – anything could happen (4:46) : this is a crowd favorite. lifts.
- needtobreathe – let us love (3:43) : recovery before tabata time. i incorporated a one minute, 85-90 rpm at uncomfortable gear to prevent getting too comfortable. chance to explain the tabata training.
- m.y.c. – rock! (5:38) : tabata time. 20 sec on, 10 sec off. repeat 7 times. (total of 8 surges). gear here should be heavier than normal sprint.
- olly murs – troublemaker (3:07) : recovery! well earned by this point. finished with a final, one minute push in the saddle.
- parachute – white dress (3:36) : cool down / recovery.
hi everyone! new playlist this week. sort of a hodge-podge of tunes… but i thought it worked well. here is the spotify link, enjoy! cycle tunes 1.31.13
- bruno mars – marry you (3:50) : stretch / warm up. realized i should have saved this one for the valentine’s day ride, but it’s a fun one to use for warmup.
- ciara ft. usher – turn it up (3:09) : usher is not my favorite, but i think it’s a great tune for seated surges on the chorus.
- swedish house mafia – don’t you worry child (3:33) & chris wallace – remember when (push rewind) (3:14) : quick climbs here. two peaks, surge on each increase.
- christina aguilera – your body (4:00) : sprints.
- r3hab & zroq – skydrop (radio edit) (3:04) : lifts in and out of the saddle. i know you want a break, but just wait for it!
- chris willis – put your hands up (3:30) : surges.
- zz top – legs (3:36) & kings of leon (radioactive – remix ft. west angeles mass choir) (3:29) : final climb, two peaks, heavy.
- jay sean – boom boom (3:17) : final set of lifts.
- pit bull – don’t stop the party (3:26) : standing climb, seated surge on chorus.
- tyrone wells – and the birds sing (3:42) : cool down.
hi everyone! hope you are enjoying an extended MLK weekend. this playlist may be one of my favorites… a lot of endurance work (which relies on the class really pushing themselves on the long stretches of uncomfortable resistance), but a few climbs to break up the ride. here is the spotify link, enjoy! cycle tunes 1.17.13
- the script, will.i.am – hall of fame (3:23) : really great warm up song.
- calvin harris, florence welch – sweet nothing (3:33) : quick seated surges on the chorus.
- liquid soul – adrenaline (7:51) : here comes the endurance work. almost 8 minutes in the saddle. uncomfortable resistance, but not a direct uphill climb. can mix it up with one minute out of the saddle, one minute 5 rpm surge, etc.
- icona pop – i love it (2:36) : ok, i really like the pop beat of this song, but there are a few unfavorable words that i had to manually edit. but it’s so fun! time for lifts in and out of the saddle.
- chris brown – don’t wake me up (3:43) : surges/sprints.
- golden earring – radar love (3:44) : ok, this song was recorded before my dad was out of high school (love that it’s sandwiched between chris brown and jessie j). but it’s really great for climbing.
- jessie j – domino (3:52) : surges and/or lifts.
- morgan page – body work (4:00) : another solid endurance push. can also move into a slight uphill climb toward the end.
- u2 – where the streets have no name (4:47) : feel free to continue with some endurance work (i skipped ahead for the first 1 min or so of song to keep momentum) or move into climbing.
- ke$ha – die young (3:32) : can’t believe i used ke$ha, but i did. sprints to finish the ride.
- the head and the heart – lost in my mind (4:19) : stretch / cool down.
happy new year everyone! hope this ride helps you to jump start any new year’s resolutions you may have made. these are some of my favorites songs, not necessarily from 2012, but a great way to start the year. enjoy! here is the spotify link: cycle tunes 1.10.13
- rhianna – diamonds (3:45) : rhianna may not be the best role model, but i really like this song. use this opportunity to stretch/warm up.
- busta rhymes – c’mon (catch em by surprise) (3:33) : 20 sec surges, adding 5 rpm at a time.
- martin solveig – hello (3:13) : quick climb, in and out of saddle. surges on each increase.
- lecrae – walking on water (3:41) : back up hill, a little heavier this time.
- katy perry – e.t. (benny benassi radio edit) (3:21) : my favorite version of this song. time for sprints.
- walk the moon – anna sun (5:22) : my favorite spin song ever (well, at least for now). get in the zone for some quick endurance work.
- enur – calabria 2008 (3:55) : lifts.
- benny benassi – control (3:30) : endurance work, surges for 1 min at a time.
- justin beiber ft. nicki minaj – beauty and a beat (3:48) : lifts.
- madonna – celebration (benny benassi remix) (3:59) : quick climb.
- chris brown & benny benassi – beautiful people (3:46) : surges.
- alabama shakes – i found you (3:00) : cool down / stretch.
- the modern post – before the throne (3:28) : really beautiful song, continue cool down.