this is one of my favorite, most random playlists. the profile of the ride is simple, and one that i will using frequently in the summer months: sprint, climb, sprint, climb, etc. very easy to remember as the warm weather seems to fog our mental abilities, but more importantly, a great calorie burner and easy for each class participant to make as hard (yay!) or as easy as they would like.
- robyn – show me love (3:39) : i will say this several times over the course of this playlist, but this song makes me smile. great one for warm up/stretch.
- chris brown/benny benassi – beautiful people (3:46) : starting up with some “pick-ups.” not quite sprints, but just picking up the pace 5 rpms. quick run. at 1:03, 20 sec at +5 rpms, 20 sec at additional 5 rpms. slow and back to beginning speed at 1:45. 2:23 – 2:39, quick pick up to make sure no one is taking it too easy. at 3:08, 20 sec +5 rpm, 20 sec at add’l 5 rpm.
- muse – uprising (5:05) : this starts approx 10 min of climbing. starting quick, this climb is focused on speed. adding 1-2 gears every 45 sec. maintain speed until relatively heavy. toward end, in and out of saddle.
- big gigantic – high and rising (5:52) : this is an interesting song. play once all the way through and you’ll get what’s going on here. you have backed the resistance down a bit from the prior hill, however this is a heavier climb to the top. i added in out of saddle jumps at the end.
- katy perry – E.T. (benny benassi remix) (3:21) : clearly, i’m on a slight techno kick. here is our first real set of sprints. at 0:50, 45 sec sprint. recovery, moving into quick speed until 2:33 – 45 sec sprint.
- steve miller band – rock’n me (3:07) : this playlist is officially all over the place. we are back into climbing. heavy climb here. adding at least 1-2 gears every 30 seconds.
- florence + the machine – shake it out (4:35) : back that resistance down a bit from prior climb, starting slow up this next mountain, bringing in and out of saddle on chorus at the end.
- lady gaga – marry the night (4:25) : next set of sprints. 0:42 – 1:12 (30 sec sprint), 1:50 – 2:20 (30 sec), 3:00 – 3:30 (30 sec). if the class seems able and ready, there is room for a final 15 sec push at the end.
- billy squier – the stroke (3:38) : final climb! heavy, in and out of the saddle.
- eva simons – i don’t like you (4:12) : final set of sprints! 1:03-1:33 – 30 sec, 2:18 – 2:48 (30 sec), 3:30 – 4:12 (45 sec).
- bon iver – skinny love (3:59) : you made it! great work. cool down/stretch.
hope you enjoy this eclectic music selection! i’m working on an 80’s themed ride for this week. stay tuned!